Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

Dell XPS 15 (L501x) Issues

I bought the XPS 15 a couple years ago. Put some of the best components in it at the time of the order thinking the laptop would last a while. A few days back the laptop would not power on. The blue led on the power supply unit (PSU) would turn off every time I plugged it in. I tried to power it on with just the battery and without. No luck. I tried to contact dell but since the warranty was over they were not even willing to take a guess at what the problem could be. I did some research on the web and found that it was a very common problem with the XPS line. The motherboard fails. One of the capacitors burn out and cause this issue. I cant believe I spent so much money on upgrades on the dell to have the stupid motherboard fail. And if it such a common problem Dell should jump on the issue to get it fixed. But they don't seem to care. After contacting Dell a number of times they say that the mother board would cost to much money to replace ($650) and I should buy a new laptop from them. They have got to be joking. This is the last product me or my family will buy form Dell. I will make sure to let everyone I know about their <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU > service and products. Their products and customer service are horrible now and I am sure they will see it in their business financial statements soon.

1 Message

July 14th, 2015 15:00

I have experienced the same thing.      I have determined that two capacitors on the motherboard seem to be bad, but it is difficult to find replacements for them.  I sent my laptop to Dell and spent $330 for the motherboard to be replaced but it failed after a year and a half.

No Events found!