Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2011 23:00

Dell XPS 15 - L502X - Some crackling sound coming from the speakers while playing Audio files/Video Desktop and Internet

Hi Guys,

Recently , i have got some  problems while playing audio files. I have updated all the audio drivers currently available in dell. 2 months old machine. Is it Windows 7 issue ?.

8GB Memory , 1GB NV Graphic card, I7 processor , Windows 7 home premium. All drivers and windows updates are up to dated

Also some times it hangs the background

Please help me, The sound is very annoying also i can't use the feature of xps ? JBL speakers

Thank you

3.8K Posts

August 24th, 2011 02:00

Hi Rajeevpbn.

Welcome to the Community. Check the below link by Jimco on choppy and skipping audio.

en.community.dell.com/.../19265470.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for linking to my thread but I am sorry to say that I have not updated it in a long time and I do need to do so. In the meanwhile, here are some solutions that have been posted for the problem of audio noise in the XPS 15 series.

XPS 15 (could be an L501X or an L502X)
Uninstall Dell Support Center. "i uninstalled it, and two days now, no stuttering!"  -- solution posted by dumyfou

XPS 1530
> Install newest "Intel Rapid Share" driver. "I went to Intel's support site (first google result for "Intel Rapid Share") and downloaded the newest driver (BTW, in DELL's support site is an older version of the driver). I installed it, restarted the XPS and voila - NO MORE STUTTERING AT ALL - NO MATTER WHAT I DO!" --  solution posted by egis_core_i7

"following your advice i removed some of the HDD control options in intel storage rapid and the problem seems solved! a video has been going for more than half an hour without any stuttering!" -- solution posted by Strie

All of the above are in this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19378705/19874062.aspx#19874062

XPS L502X
"...the problem was that the laptop had two cores off...

Click on Start->type msconfig->Click on Boot->Advanced Options->Check on Number of Processors->Now select the Processor that you want to activate->Click on Apply->OK.

You need to active 8 cores, if you only have the option of 4 and you can't select 8, just uncheck the option, restart and go back and now you can see 8 cores." -- solution posted by edgard_cz and confirmed by Groskoko

XPS L502X
"Try the bios update, i have A07 installed and it's working fine. If you have any gadget in your desktop try to deactivate it, i was having sttuters from a gadget that was monitoring the nvidia temps." solution posted by Yauja

Both of the above are in this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19372110/19904630.aspx#19904630

18 Posts

August 24th, 2011 06:00

Hi Thanks all Specially Jimco,

But is it a solution ? XPS 15 (could be an L501X or an L502X)

Uninstall Dell Support Center. "i uninstalled it, and two days now, no stuttering!"  -- solution posted by dumyfou

Uninstall dell support ?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2011 07:00

Uninstall the Dell Support Center application if you have it on your computer.

en.community.dell.com/.../uninstall-dell-support-center.aspx

If there is no improvement with your problem then re-install it. If you do not have Dell Support Center then ignore this "solution".

18 Posts

August 24th, 2011 11:00

Ok i will try but Question :-

The dell support application no longer needed in laptop ? it's my 2 month old laptop.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2011 12:00

You can remove it just to see if it is causing the problem, and re-install it again if you want it. It is not necessary for your computer, but it is a tool that you might want to keep.

The person who posted that solution felt that the application was running in the background and interfering with the audio and video. That might not be the case with your computer and so removing the application might not make a difference. Right now you are just trying different things to try to find the cause of the noise.

18 Posts

August 24th, 2011 13:00

I have updated BIOS still no luck

My processor cores are not selected so i assume all are running.

Support also running from beginning this will not ?

Gadgets Yes , I am running -  Dell Dock , CPU (monitor windows 7), calender etc. But it was running from last month. But the issue occurred recently.

I missed something to tell. I have Updated Skype software to newest latest 5.5, and Evernote.

"following your advice i removed some of the HDD control options in intel storage rapid and the problem seems solved! a video has been going for more than half an hour without any stuttering!" -- solution posted by Strie

where i can change this ?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2011 14:00

where i can change this ?

He was talking about Intel Rapid Share. He did not say which settings he changed or where they are to be found, so you would have to do some experimenting.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2011 14:00

But it was running from last month. But the issue occurred recently.

Because the issue occurred recently, you could try these things:

> System Restore. In Vista or 7, type "System Restore" into the Start menu search box, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Look for a date earlier than when the problem first occurred, then restore back to that date. (See page 78 of the XPS L502X Setup Guide)

> Restore to the original factory configuration. This will wipe out your data so you have to back up first, but it will make the computer work as good as it did when you first started it up. (See page 82 of the XPS L502X Setup Guide -- it's the section named "Dell Factory Image Restore"). If your data is already backed up then this process is quick and easy.

18 Posts

August 25th, 2011 01:00

Hi Jimco,

i know restore will shootout the issue. But i want the solution without restore. What caused ? which driver hitting issue. Is it related to OS update ? > to restore to previous or factory settings is not at all a soultion who is using system. it should be debugged. can  you contact some person who is handling Sound defect @Dell. I need effective solution for this. It is very-much noisy.  As you know the xps offers jbl speaker and what without sound ?

Much appreciated if you give show this to some higher level dell personals. or if it's windows issue ?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 25th, 2011 06:00

can  you contact some person who is handling Sound defect @Dell.

Much appreciated if you give show this to some higher level dell personals.

Hello Rajeevpbn. This is a user-to-user discussion forum. I am just another Dell laptop owner like you. I can only contact the moderators of this forum, and not any higher level people at Dell. The person to ask is DELL-Royan S, who was the first person to reply to you in this thread. He is a Dell employee. Or you can contact Dell Support directly. However, if the problem is not caused by hardware then your warranty will not cover it.

But i want the solution without restore. What caused ? which driver hitting issue. Is it related to OS update ? > to restore to previous or factory settings is not at all a soultion who is using system. it should be debugged.

I do not think Dell will do anything unless it is a hardware problem. Why? Because they sent you a computer with a configuration that did not have this problem. The problem did not exist until you made changes to the configuration or allowed others (Microsoft) to do so. Further, you can make the problem go away whenever you want to, simply by undoing the changes that you have allowed which created the problem.

In my opinion, if you want this debugged then you will have to do so yourself. At least you need to begin the process to narrow down the problem area. One way to do that is by restoring the computer to the original factory configuration. After it is working normally, make any changes gradually and test the audio after every single modification. When the problem returns then you will know exactly which change caused the problem. If it is something for which Dell is responsible, then report it to them. But it might well turn out to be something that Dell has no control over, but you do, for example some software you install or a Microsoft "update". (When you allow Microsoft to make changes to your computer then you have to accept the havoc which those changes can create.)

October 14th, 2011 14:00

Hi Jim,

I was also facing the same issue, so as you told i opened MSCONFIG and select processers, i was having option option to select 1 to 8 , so i selcted it, still the same issue..:(

2 Posts

October 20th, 2011 16:00

i installed the following two drivers r305946 and r314406 from the dell website i think one is a video drive and one is a wireless driver the stutter seems to have stopped for now anyway hopefully this will continue to work i had tried all the other solutions first i.e uninstalling supposrt centre and unparking the cores

18 Posts

October 31st, 2011 01:00

Not working for me :( @smeenaghan . I have tried all the points mentioned for xps l502x . Nothing worked for me. It's getting worst day by day. I don't know what to do. There is no point to do a fresh installation. Dell should fix this issue.

6 Posts

November 5th, 2011 02:00

I have uninstalled the mcAfee s/w and the sound problem went off, i have tested by playing more than 10-15 songs continuously. This is the initial observation. Now i am installing Mc Afee again and checking whether the problem reappears again. Will Update you soon. Cheers !!!

No Events found!