Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2012 17:00

Dell XPS 15 L502x will not duplicate displays, will only extend

Hello,

I plugged my HDMI cable into the computer today with the intention of duplicating the display on to my TV.  When I do this the TV screen shows like I selected extend.  I can extend the monitor and use the projector only setting, but duplicating does not work.  I changed the Intel Graphics Options and the NVIDIA Control panel neither have worked.  I have updated the bios, the NVIDIA and the Integrated drivers.  I have even changed the resolution on both my computer and the TV with no fix.

What's the weirdest thing about this problem is that I have used this exact HDMI cable to this exact TV before and I didn't need to change a single setting and it worked great.  I also took an ASUS laptop and plugged it in and used the FN + screen key, just like I would usually do with my Dell and the ASUS worked great.

I read a post on here that said when they update their BIOS it fixed this problem, although the post had other people that were not that lucky.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19377592/19874495.aspx

Any help would be appreciated.

7 Posts

April 28th, 2012 09:00

Duplicating will work as long as you have the nVidia control panel looking like this, 2 circles inside a square box, right click either 1 & choose Duplicate displays (use 1 as source). I am having problems getting the extended display to work. I click on extended but all i get is the blue win 7 background on my external hdmi display! Go figure!

6 Posts

April 11th, 2013 14:00

That works for me. Thanks.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I also encountered the same problem and I browsed a lot of sites and forum looking for an answer but nothing had solved my problem. After breaking my head for a long time , I was able to solve this problem. I am not sure if your problem is solved or not , if its's not try out this , it might just work. 

Steps

1) Open NVIDIA control panel and click on multiple displays tab.

2) Use "windows key" + P or fn + F1 to change to duplicate the displays/extend the displays.

3) You might get three displays in total - 1 and 2 under intel (R) HD graphics and one under GeForce GT 540M mostly your TV.

4) Remove the tick from the check box in front of Analog display.

5) Right click on one of the remaining two displays and select clone display with the other display .

6) Now your displays would be duplicated and I guess you have to repeat it every time.

November 1st, 2014 09:00

Man, you help me a lot! Thank you so much!

1 Message

December 17th, 2014 23:00

Searching the solutions for long time.

Thank You.... it works!!!!

No Events found!