Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2013 19:00

Dell XPS 15z Battery charging Disabled

I bought a used Dell XPS 15z. The battery was bad. I bought a new one and changed it. Now, the computer tells me the battery is working perfectly, but it wont charge. I don't know what to do. I enabled and disable smart charging. The charger works fine. The computer works fine. I just dont understand why the battery wont charge. I am guessing its a setting I cant find. any help would be great!

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2013 19:00

Hi Zuarel,

You may drain the residual power of your computer and re-calibrate the battery by following the steps below:

• Power off your computer. 
  • Remove all the external peripherals  (printers, scanners or any other USB device) connected to your computer.
  • Please remove the AC adapter and battery of your computer. 
  • Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain the residual power. 
  • Release the power button
  • Keep the battery out for atleast 2 - 3 hours.
  • Then insert the battery and charge it overnight with the system powered off.
  • Insert the battery in and connect the AC adaptor.
  • Then power on the computer and see if it works.

Another step you may try is to check the battery health from control panel by following the steps below:

• Click on Windows logo on desktop.
  • Type 'Power options' in search bar above that.
  • Click on Power Options.
  • Check for the 'Battery Health Meter' among the different options on the left side of window.
  • Check for battery health and check if the battery charging is disabled.
  • Restart your computer to check if the issue is fixed.  

You may also check if there is any yellow exclamation mark on the battery (as shown in image): 

Another step you may try is to check the status of AC adapter and battery in system BIOS by following steps below:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Check under Main tab, the AC adapter wattage.
  • Navigate to advanced tab and check the battery health 

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

March 8th, 2013 05:00

Reseting the battery worked. It now says charging. Thanks ya'll

1.8K Posts

March 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi Zuarel,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

April 25th, 2013 11:00

Hello Chinmay,

Even I am facing similar problem.

I tried the fixes you told, still not working.

I have DELL XPS L502X.

My battery suddenly stopped working last week. It is not charging at all. It used to give 4-5 hrs backup, now suddenly zero backup.

I can see a LED blinking orange and white.

When I ran system test it showed that battery has 71% of initial capacity, but I don't know why it is not charging.

Could you please help me to solve the issue ?

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

April 26th, 2013 00:00

Hi AravindBali,

It appears to be an issue with the system hardware. Please try the following steps:

• Disconnect all peripherals and confirm if system is working fine with AC Adapter only.
  • Try charging the battery with the notebook turned off.
  • Try swapping with a known good battery (If available). If known good battery works, replace faulty battery.

Check the AC Adapter status in the BIOS. If AC Adapter status shows Unknown / Not Detected. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS setup.
  • Check the status of the AC Adapter Type under the 'Main' tab. (See image below)

If the AC adapter type states 'Not Detected/Unknown', try known good ac adapter if available. Also, if the battery has more than 15% charge left on it, then update the BIOS of the system from the link: http://dell.to/10EHuAS

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please share the results.

1 Message

August 18th, 2014 16:00

XPS12 , win8.1, here. Battery functions normal up to 50%. Then: Battery charge disabled. Can it be fixed ?

August 19th, 2014 12:00

How did you do this when the battery is internal in the XPS 15z?  Did you open the cover and unplug the battery then hold down the power button?? 

3 Posts

August 19th, 2014 14:00

Yeah it's pretty easy to change the battery.  Screw off the back panel and the battery is easy to change. 

November 16th, 2014 05:00

I guys, I'm continually having this problem. After replacing my battery and D/C jack everything was fine till about a week later when I noticed charging had been disabled.

If I shut down and remove the battery for an hour or so it will start to charge, then suddenly stops charging again???

Also I kept an eye on the charge rate, when I was able to charge it. There was a sudden jump from 56% to 100% and vice versa???

I'm stumped....from what I can tell the battery is ok, given the battery indicator lights are all lighting up. Though if it wasn't it wouldn't affect the charge being disabled would it??

Could this be anything to do with the CMOS battery ??? I have noticed lots of setting fail to remain applied, a device is suddenly unknown and has no driver etc.

Any help you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks

January 9th, 2016 00:00

My laptop is dell i3 3521 3rd generation.My first battery was damaged & I put a new battery.The battery is working normally but when i connected the A/c adaptor it wasn't charging. please give me a solution.

October 18th, 2016 20:00

If your computer use a 3 pin charger you should check the charger pin voltages.. See the pictures at this link.  www.utiltecnico.com/.../

No Events found!