Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2016 20:00

Dell XPS L502x sound problem.

This's what is happening to my lappy (L502x).

I have tried to:

- Uninstall audio drivers, then let Windows update automatically.

- Update to the latest Bios (A10).

- Upgrade Windows (from 7 to 10).

But all of that did not solve the problem. So I think this is a hardware issue.

My question is: Should the speakers, the subwoofer or both of them be repaired or replaced?

Thank you very much.

(Sorry for my bad English. I am not a native speaker :) )

July 1st, 2016 22:00

Hi Milanista318

Thanks for writing to us. 

To begin with , have you checked with earphones if the problem still persists? 

If the symptoms don't show up via earphones, then you will have to replace speaker and subwoofer together. 

If the symptoms show up in earphone, then you will have to replace the sound card.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

July 2nd, 2016 01:00

Thanks for your advice.

The sound is perfect with earphones.

So your solution is to replace both of the speaker and subwoofer? My friend said that I need to replace the speaker only. I am so confused :emotion-6:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 05:00

Hello. I could not tell much from listening to your video. If I were you I would play some music that is mostly bass, and listen carefully to the woofer and speakers, then play music with no bass content, such as a violin concerto, while listening to the woofer and then the speakers. Try to determine which one is distorting.

Using an equalizer during the test might help to filter out certain frequencies to improve the test. For example if you are testing the speakers by playing music with no bass content, cutting the bass levels with the equalizer might improve the test. Most popular music player programs have an equalizer, such as Windows Media Player.

If you cannot determine the cause of the distortion by the above method, remove the woofer. Go to the XPS L502x support page/manuals. Find the Service Manual in the list and click on "More languages". Select the language of your preference and download the Service Manual. [Note: the manual is easier to follow if you open it in a PDF file reader, but you can read it in your browser if you prefer.]

There are separate sections in the manual for removing the subwoofer and the speakers. If you remove the woofer and the distortion stops, then replace the woofer. If you remove the woofer and the distortion remains, then you might have to repeat the test by disconnecting the speakers.

July 2nd, 2016 20:00

Hi Nice to hear from you

please try these steps which will narrow down a little more on what to replace first

right click on the volume icon, --- select playback--right click on the speaker/headphones --select properties--select levels--select balance--put the left speaker to 0 observe if you get the distortion from the right one, then do visa versa if you hear the distortion during both steps, then replace only sub woofer ..

if you hear distortion from just one speaker during the process replace the speaker kit

Hope you understood we are trying to totally push the sound to one of the speakers first and then to the other one and test.

Do let me know if its confusing 

July 3rd, 2016 04:00

Hi Nice to hear from you

please try these steps which will narrow down a little more on what to replace first

right click on the volume icon, --- select playback--right click on the speaker/headphones --select properties--select levels--select balance--put the left speaker to 0 observe if you get the distortion from the right one, then do visa versa if you hear the distortion during both steps, then replace only sub woofer ..

if you hear distortion from just one speaker during the process replace the speaker kit

Hope you understood we are trying to totally push the sound to one of the speakers first and then to the other one and test.

Do let me know if its confusing 

I follow your advice and this is the result:

1. Disable Left Speaker--> The distortion remains.

2. Disable Right Speaker --> The distortion remains.

3. Disable Subwoofer --> The distortion remains.

So does it mean all of them are broken?

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

Keeping in mind from earphones the audio is fine, we need not suspect the sound card.
You can first replace the subwoofer first, post that depending on how it goes, replace the speakers

July 4th, 2016 20:00

Should you have any questions do give us a shout

No Events found!