Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2014 22:00

Dell docking stations compatability with new Latitude e7440

This is a question for a Dell Expert who is knowledgeable with the Latitude laptops:

I'm looking to purchase an E-port II Replicator Docking Station with USB 3.0, which has the following numbers from the Dell's website:

Manufacturer Part# : XX6F0 | Dell Part# : 331-6307

Does the replicator have to have *exactly* the same M-P/N I've listed to be compatible or are there replicators with different M-P/N that should be compatible? The reason I ask is because the docking stations being sold online only have the model number which is PR03X and a M/N number (the digits-only Dell P/N is never listed, nor is it seen on the back of any product). 

I'll give you an example. In the product description for the E-port II (Basic) replicator w/ usb 3.0, I've seen many sellers list a bunch of M-P/Ns as if they were all interchangeable:

CPGHK, 6TJ57, MVP71, XX6F0, RMYTR, V1P2H, 75JJ4, 0PDXXF, WV7MW

Is it true that they all refer to the same product? And if so, will they be compatible with the e7440?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

August 14th, 2014 07:00

Hey AlexRau,

The Dell E-Port Docking line has been designed to support all of the Dell E-Family laptop computers (Latitude and Precision), but is not compatible with any previous series laptop computers. This means you should have functionality when using a combination of any E**** system to an E-port docking station.

The primary differences, where compatibility comes into play, will be the USB 3.0 functionality of some docks not being supported on a small number of Latitude systems (see below) and with the video configurations available through dock. It’s always best to check compatibility is listed on the website to confirm the features available with the dock you are looking to purchase can be enabled with the system you would like to use with it.

Inconsistencies between compatibility listings on the website are likely due simply to information requiring update, if you come across these instances we would love to fix it! Feedback can be provided to our web engineers at https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/comment_card_d.asp or by clicking the [+] Feedback button on the bottom of the webpage.

E-Port II and E-Port Plus II Docking Solutions Support USB 3.0 for Specific Systems Only

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=594409

The table below shows a comparison between the different docking solutions available for the E-series systems.  

Thanks,

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

August 13th, 2014 09:00

Hi AlexRau,

Thanks for the post! The Dell / Manufacturers part numbers can differ for matching hardware on Dell.com. Variables such as region and manufacturer can affect the part numbers listed and even if two components are of the exact same hardware specifications and share the same compatibilities, the part numbers listed on Dell.com may be different from one page to the next.

In order to confirm Compatibility of the hardware prior to making a purchase, make sure to check the ‘Compatibility’ tab on the sales site, the link below for example is listed as compatible with the Latitude E7440 system.  

Dell - USB 3.0 E-Port Replicator

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=331-6307

Thanks,

23 Posts

August 13th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the speedy reply. Indeed, I always check the laptop models that are listed as compatible in the seller's product description, but many sellers do not list the new e7x40 laptops whereas others do, which raises uncertainty about who is correct. Again, when I say this, I am referring to products with exactly the same features and product title but listed  with a Manufucturer P/N different from the one on Dell's website. I assume this is because most of these stations were released prior to the release of the e7x40 and only a few sellers were wise or fortunate enough to try the docking stations with the new laptop - and they figured it works. So what I'm getting at is there appears to be a lack of awareness as to which products (i.e. which M-P/N) are compatible with the e7x40. I have spoken to Dell reps twice about this, and gave them a few of the M-P/N listed in my previous post; one of them said he could see that the inventory is available but that there is no description available; another flat out denied that there was any such inventory within their system. As I dont want to waste any more time speaking to Dell on the phone, I was hoping to migrate my question to the forum so that a proper investigation can be done into the range of M-P/Ns that support the e7x40. After all, who other than Dell, should know what works and what doesn't? Not to mention the fact that I've seen in some offical demonstrations of the e7x40 mention of "...and it works with your traditional docking station", implying that possibly pre-release docking station models should work.

23 Posts

August 14th, 2014 17:00

This means you should have functionality when using a combination of any E**** system to an E-port docking station.

Thank you, this is the essential piece of info I wanted to hear. It should mean that regardless of what the Manufacturing number is, if the product is listed as the "E-port II with USB 3.0" and has the same specifications as the one listed on Dell's website, then it should fully work with the E7x40 series laptops with USB 3.0 ports. I would guess then that even the slighly older USB 2.0-only stations should work.

23 Posts

August 20th, 2014 16:00

Just wanted to update this post (for future reference) to confirm that docks with different p/n will work. The one I received has p/n 6TJ57.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2014 13:00

Am I right in thinking that the e-port plus docking station is compatible with the E7440?

23 Posts

October 17th, 2014 21:00

Keeping in mind that I'm not a Dell rep, my personal understanding is that the new 7000 series laptops are compatible with all e-port docking stations including stations that were released prior to the 7000 series release date, so Yes.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2014 02:00

Thanks for your response... For example, this docking station http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=452-11421 The compatibility is not listed here, but on your basis it is compatible?

23 Posts

October 18th, 2014 03:00

Yeah, like the previous Dell rep said any E***** laptops should be compatible with E-port docks. I dont know why Dell doesnt list the E7440 E7240. Maybe they're too lazy to update the list....?

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 15:00

Is there a difference between PR03X and XX6F0? My understanding that PR03X is the older version, and XX6F0 is the version with DisplayPort 1.2 which I need.

My company ordered recertified XX6F0 from Dell, but we got PR03X instead. I'm unable to get DisplayPort daisy chaining working with it. I'm very confused by this.

No Events found!