Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2015 00:00

Dell laptop - issues with cursor jumping while I try to type

Now this Dell Inspiron laptop with Win7 has issues with the cursor jumping while I try to type.  As I try to enter a message on Facebook, for example, the place where entry appears is too unstable to proceed.  It sometimes even results in the whole page being dismissed.  (I also use the most current version of Mozilla Firefox.)  I am also using a Dell USB mouse.  (I have had to abandon it and am entering this message on another Win7 based PC, with the same Firefox browser.) 

1 Message

October 1st, 2015 01:00

October 1st, 2015 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

May I know the model of the computer? Also please follow the steps below and let me know the status:

1. Update Touchpad Drivers and BIOS from the Dell Support Site. Please enter the service tag of your computer and select Windows 7 operating system to get the drivers and BIOS. 
  2. Restore Touchpad settings to default in Control Panel.
  3. Check if the issue occurs only with the AC Adapter connected. 

October 1st, 2015 02:00

Hi Tom-Bl,

Please provide us the complete model number of the system, so that we can give you the right drivers to be updated on your system. That should fix the issue. Also do let us know if the Dell USB mouse is working fine on your system.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 1st, 2015 07:00

This is due to an overly sensitive touchpad and dangling fingers when you type. With some pads, you don't even have to touch the pad to get movement, just get close Sometimes, you can adjust the sensitivity. However, the easiest answer is to install the free utility, TouchFreeze. This utility shuts down the pad when you start typing and then turns it back on when you stop. This ahs solved the problem for many users..

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 1st, 2015 07:00

Easiest answer is to install the free utility, TouchFreeze. This works by shutting down the pad when you start typing, and turns it back on when you stop. Has worked for many,

19 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 16:00

To DELL-Prajwal Sh - - Please see your EMail sent through this site.  If you need more information let us know.

19 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 23:00

17R 5721
Dell Laptop with Win 7, 64 Bit

October 8th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Please update the Touchpad drivers from the following link and let me know the status:

http://dell.to/1MnsXzW

1 Message

October 14th, 2015 08:00

I am having the same problem. TouchFreeze does not fix my problem. I seldom use the keyboard on the laptop, instead using a wired keyboard and wired mouse. Can you advise the proper drivers to download?

Dell Latitude E7440

Service Tag# <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Win 7 Enterprise

64 bit

No Events found!