Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 9th, 2015 16:00

Dell replacement XPS15 with refurbished?

I hope this post finds everyone well. I have a question - Dell has agreed to replace my XPS 15 laptop purchased brand new in November with a REFURBISHED one of equal specifications. The rep said he would email me the specifications in a couple of days. Is it normal for them to replace a new laptop with a refurbished one? Should I push back?

Here is the history of my XPS. At first the keyboard started shorting out and producing electrical discharge that would shock the user. Dell Came out and replaced the keyboard and mainboard. A couple of weeks later the dell began to not power on. If left overnight it would come back on the next morning. Finally it just wouldn’t start at all. The power LED would come on for about 10 seconds then go off. Dell came back out and replaced the laptop again. About a week later the laptop died again. This time no power, no recharge light, nothing. A tech came out once again and replaced the main board and power supply. 1 day later the laptop won’t turn on again. I emailed the rep I had worked with before and he wanted to send it to the depot. I told him I would prefer not to and ask if he could just replace this laptop because I couldn’t really afford any more downtime. The rep put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and emphasized that the laptop they would send me would be a refurb. I have owned multiple Alienware and Inpiron laptops and have never been treated this way. Should I just roll over and let them replace my 2600 dollar laptop with a refurb? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 9th, 2015 16:00

The only time you can get a brand-new replacement is in the first 21 days.  After that, system replacements are refurbished.

511 Posts

March 9th, 2015 18:00

The replacement being a refurb does not automatically mean the machine will be bad. My XPS L502X was a refurb replacement and it has lasted 4 years now without any problems. It is still going strong and I use it daily to edit videos.

No Events found!