Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2016 06:00

Dell, what's your answer to the Lenovo N22 and the HP Stream 11 Pro G3?

The main selling points of these laptops are

Which are of my interest

- Fanless design

- Configurable up to 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of eMMC storage

- Full size keyboard and large touchpad of reasonable quality for the price. Unlike your newest Inspiron 11.6" with the shrinked keyboards, which was a definitive downgrade from your previous version. I don't care about the 2-in-1-ness. Did you notice the new one got worse reviews than the predecessor?

- They sell for ~$200-250. with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage

Feature which is not of my interest

- Whether they come with Windows or Chrome OS. Of course, I don't want to pay Windows tax (esp. not Windows Pro tax) if not necessary. Hint: you can sell an Ubuntu variant, with a normal, non-Chrome OS-style keyboard, it would definitely be interesting for some people.

On a side note, I don't quite understand why these cheaper, but sturdy laptops are called education (and enterprise) models. Sure, they are useful for kids in school, but when the same kid (or enterprise worker) comes home, the same people should switch to their flimsy home and small business models? These home and small business models exchange the sturdiness to useless features like they are being 2-in-1s with a touchscreen, which no sane person really needs in a laptop, it's just what all manufacturers are trying to sell these days. But think about it: if you are a careless person who trashes things at school or in your workplace, you will trash things at home as well. Or you are just a normal person who prefers sturdy things instead of flimsy ones. I don't quite get this marketing distinction, I don't get the logic, please, enlighten me. :emotion-1:

A cautionary tale for you, laptop makers: Ask HN: Why do no other laptop manufacturers get it?

Can I expect a competing model for these anytime soon from your, or should I buy from Lenovo or HP ASAP? My purchase is not urgent, but I can't wait forever, either. Of course, there is no Mac in this price range, and I still have higher hopes for your service than that of HP or Lenovo, how about that? :emotion-1:

Ps. How do I disable the EMAIL ME REPLIES TO THIS POST thing for all posts at the bottom of this text box?

No Responses!
No Events found!