Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 19th, 2016 08:00

Dell xps l702x brightness

Having upgraded to the latest nvidia driver for my laptop, I can no longer control brightness, my monitor is turned up to max with no way of turning it down.

I'd really appreciate some help on how to fix this?

October 19th, 2016 14:00

Hi DrKazmi

Thanks for writing to us.

Please click on the following link www.dell.com/.../advanced

and select your operating system and update the Dell quickset application .

Have you tried adjusting brightness both via the keyboard and also via the Nvidia display properties??

Do let us know how it goes post updating the quickset.

Provide us your system tag#, name and  email via private message,by clicking on my name in blue

and then select send a private message for records purpose.

Regards

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 1st, 2016 17:00

Greetings DrKazmi,

Dell-Hema brought me your details.

I pulled a XPS 702 from our lab. With Windows 7 64 and Nvidia 555m graphics

Here's my attempt to replicate the issue:

-Initial driver version: 9.18.13.4052

-used FN+F4 and F5 - brightness was adjusted correctly

-Installed 21.21.13.7570 rebooted

- tested again and brightness was adjusted correctly

-Installed 21.21.13.7306 ( the version you advised us didn't work for you ) - rebooted

-Cleared all non-Microsoft service from start-up in an attempt to replicate the issue

-Also tested the unit after waking from sleep and hibernate and brightness controls still worked fine

Due to our limited scope of support I'm only able to speculate why yours is not working. It's possible that some registry key got changed during your driver update. What key exactly got changed, I can't say.

One thing you might try: Do a system restore back to before the driver was installed. Then, use device manager to simply install the raw drivers files manually, instead of letting the Nvidia installer do it's thing. That probably has it's own risks however. I'd recommend taking a backup image of your hard drive before doing anything else.

Best I got for you.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi Justin,

Thanks for getting back to us, a few things in reply

How can i preserve the registry keys from changing whilst updating drivers, is that an option?

My brightness problem doesnt seem to be a freak issue as its affected a few people:

en.community.dell.com/.../19382237

en.community.dell.com/.../19475741

If you go to the bottom of the second link above, is the fix stated correct and if so where do I get the necessary files/drivers/system updates from to do this?

I'd appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Sayed.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2016 05:00

Additionally, where can I retrieve the latest graphics card drivers from Dell for my machine?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 7th, 2016 16:00

Hi DrKazmi,

I don't know very much about application/driver installers and what all happens when they run so I don't think I would provide a very good answer on that.

The fix outlined in the 2nd post you linked was probably come up with by someone who knows about API. If you want to try it, you'll have to do so at your own risk. The S2230MX driver is here: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

For the latest graphics drivers released by Dell for your XPS, you can go here downloads.dell.com/.../index.html

Simply drill down by system type, model then find the video drivers.

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-l702x.html

6 Posts

November 9th, 2016 03:00

Justin,

Could you please forward this query to someone that might know more about app and driver installers?

As I believe that may be the best way forward to actually resolving this.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 17th, 2016 15:00

Hi DrKazmi,

The issue is considered out of scope for Dell. Here's why:

-The driver you updated to, was a driver package directly from Nvidia

-Dell only works on issues if the driver updated to, was downloaded directly from the Dell website ( Example: updated older Dell driver to newer Dell driver and had a problem )

-Further, we'd normally only be able to fix it if we replicate the same problem internally. (Which I was unable to do even with Nvidia's driver)

6 Posts

November 20th, 2016 07:00

Ok in which case can you point me to the latest graphics card driver for my dell laptop and Win 7

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hi DrKazmi,

The latest driver from Dell for your unit would be found here:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

6 Posts

December 21st, 2016 05:00

Hi Justin,

I thought I'd best touch base with this as I've been abroad and very busy, I've installed the driver you've suggested from Dell, this has made things much worse now when I run the software in question in cranks the brightness up to max and switches on the 3d mode before crashing with a blue screen (bsod).

I'd appreciate some advice.

Kind regards,

Sayed.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 21st, 2016 11:00

Hi DrKazmi,

It's probably just a matter of finding which driver works best for you. Since the latest driver is not working out you might use the driver roll back feature or do a system restore back to before you installed the Dell driver. Either option should get you back to the previous driver version that didn't BSOD on you.

No Events found!