distortedsound
1 Copper

RE: Distorted audio on XPS 13

Dell support, there are 6 people in just this one internet thread experiencing this same problem, which implies there are a lot more not posting here or just reading about it.

Can you shed some light on this issue that we're having?

NoahC90
1 Copper

I have the same exact issue. It's something with the sound card. Coming from both speakers and headphones. I used to have to go into the sound properties and change from 24bits to 16bits. This only fixed it temporarily and now sometimes doesn't fix it at all. Now having to reset my computer each time, to fix it.

It's getting annoying to have to reset my computer each time I want to fix my sound, when it starts doing this.

My computer:

XPS 9343

Windows 10 Home

Sound Card:

Intel Smart Sound Technology

Driver: 8.4.2.105

0 Kudos
JaksaMaric
1 Copper

I'd just like to point out that this issue was NEVER resolved for me by Dell. They updated my drivers and that made the noise go away for a few months but it came back soon after. When you buy a $1500 laptop you at least expect to be able to have decent sound on it.

When you call them all they do is tell you to update your drivers and that may fix it for a little while but this is definitely not the solution. There is definitely a problem with their hardware. I will personally never purchase another Dell laptop. I only wished I listened to my friend at the time and bought a Macbook instead. Dell proved to be the biggest waste of money for me.

0 Kudos
superdude77
1 Nickel

Same here, although Dell did try. I had engineers out twice replacing various parts and still the problem did not go away. In the end Dell gave up and gave me a refund. I got a Surface Pro 4 instead which has been fantastic, although slightly lower spec. I still really do love the XPS13 design though, would love to get one if I knew it would be trouble free.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I have been listening to music on my iPod using Apple's Bluetooth headset and hear distortion in situations of higher vocal frequencies and higher volumes.

It should be pointed out, a Surface Book is around $1000 more that the equivalent Dell System.  I looked at that, but no way to check for something like music quality.  It is using the 6th generation processor, so hard to compare..

I wish I could tell you what was happening in your situations, but since I am not seeing it, I cannot track it down.  Whether it might be related to memory or processor speed/utilization or even specific codecs, would be nice to know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
superdude77
1 Nickel

My problem occured to any sounds not just music, so even windows notification sounds. In my opinion it is almost definitely a hardware issue but Dell did try swap the speakers and the mainboard on my XPS and still the problem remained.

0 Kudos
Suki69
1 Nickel

My problem with the distorted audio got worse and worse over time. In the beginning I had it 1 in 10 times. Lately 90%. Googling again for our problem I came to this page:

en.community.dell.com/.../19742876

It makes no sense that disabled C states for the CPU for an internally wired soundcard should help. Unless the Realtek is connected by USB, but that would be weird engineering. But for the last 10 songs with several different playback programs I do not have distorted sound.

Could anybody check whether the disabling of the C state in the bios helps them as well? If I am helped by a slightly worse battery life than that is fine with me.

QPR_FC
1 Nickel

I've been battling with this for a few months with my XPS 13. I have tried 101 things without luck.....the next step is a reformat and rebuild of OS and software. I'm on Win 10 Pro Anniversary.

However, I have noticed that it ONLY occurs when the Memory usage is at or above 70% (check Task Manager) - so if Chrome is open then pretty much guaranteed to distort sound Smiley Sad

distortedsound
1 Copper

I have a high pressure Skype job interview coming up and now I'm concerned about the likely occurrence of this audio distortion happening in the middle of the interview.

Will my XPS 13 cost me a job opportunity? It shouldn't even be a factor.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Will my XPS 13 cost me a job opportunity? It shouldn't even be a factor.

Since I do not know what XPS 13 model you are using, all I might suggest is to use the latest driver from Dell.
If that does not fix you problem, download the latest driver from Realtek.  Uninstall the current Realtek audio and choose to remove all drivers.  If the Microsoft basic drivers show as the new drivers then continue to the next step.  If it still show a Realtek driver then uninstall again until you see the Microsoft drivers.
Then install the drivers you downloaded from Realtek...
I don't know of much else to recommend, except check your internet connection and make sure it is adequate, check your processor utilization to make sure it is not overloaded, and if necessary, change your power scheme to best performance to see if that helps.  Shutdown anything else running and since Chrome seems to use quite a bit of memory, make sure you are not using it.
Utilities running in the background may be interfering with the performance in a way which introduces distortion in an audio stream.  You are the only one who can find any such situations.  If you go through a Router, see if it has options regarding QoS...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos