Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2012 12:00

Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 on an Inspiron 17R SE

Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 17R SE with Core i7, 8 GB memory, 2 GB video card, 32 GB SSD, 1 TB hard drive.  The sales person said I had to order with Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, which is what I asked for.  Windows 8 appears to be designed for tablets and cell phones and not for laptops or desk tops.  Windows 8 has not been a user friendly experience for me.

Can’t get the Windows 8 software to do a back up of the original software that came installed on laptop.  Dell tech support has not been able to get a backup of software to work either.

Where can I find info on how to install Windows 7 on this Inspiron 17R SE?  Dell was selling these laptops with Windows 7, so there should be instructions on Dell support website.  Main concern would be to get the Windows 7 operating system installed onto the solid state drive to improve boot times.

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 14:00

You can use Windows 7 on this model - as you note, it shipped that way.  Whether you have downgrade rights to install 7 without the need to purchase a copy of 7depends on the version you bought.  8Pro carries downgrade rights -- the standard non-pro Windows 8 doesn't.

Step 4, here

support.dell.com/.../document

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 10:00

My question is related to this...I upgraded to Windows 8 and now have a blank screen after booting up.  I would like to know how to reset to factory settings with the Window 7 (I'll leave the 8 alone for now...).  If I do this and then do a restore with the disks I made before the upgrad will it reset my laptop to the way it was  2 weeks ago (when I did the upgrade ?)

Thanks for the help.

12 Posts

February 6th, 2013 04:00

Check your BIOS Settings.

No Events found!