Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

65 Posts

March 21st, 2008 20:00

Drivers for m1710 and 7900 GTX

Since Nvidia hasn't updated their mobile drivers in like 1.5 years.. is there any issue with using the regular nvidia drivers for this mobile card? Anyone done it and found it to be okay?

March 21st, 2008 23:00

Not too sure if the desktop drivers would work but if you want up-todate drivers try Omega Drivers, I use them for my ATi card and my mate uses them for his Nvidia card and we've had no problems.  They are compatible with both laptops and desktop which is want you want so its win win. 

They work with vista and exist in both x86 and 64bit modes so they'll have a compatible set.

EDIT: Linkage: http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Message Edited by Chris_Kenobi on 03-21-2008 07:45 PM

March 22nd, 2008 11:00

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=11880&libid=6&releaseid=R180918&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=XPS_M1710&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

New 7900 GTX drivers for the 1710.

Nvidia has a loop problem with the card that you'll need tech support to fix IF you encounter it. I suggest using the chat function to get it resolved. 

65 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 12:00

Wow. I didn't expect dell to have them if nvidia didn't.

What is this loop problem? it seems if you can fix it over the web it should be something someone could creaet a tutorial to fix?

65 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 17:00

These appear to be working fine, thanks ! I'll keep an eye on the dell site for future updates it seems

March 22nd, 2008 17:00

I kept receiving 'nv4.dll' errors, causing bsod and ultimately, a hard reboot.  After chatting online with tech support (who was quite helpful), he went ahead and downloaded/installed an nvidia loop crash fix for this specific card.  If you do NOT have crashes with the card, then you probably don't need the fix.

:)

I felt your frustration with NO updates from dell regarding this card as well.  There's a few different avenues you can attempt if the dell drivers do not work, but you have to be comfortable installing third-party software.  Some people have problems, and some people don't, so ymmv.

26 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 19:00

You can just install regular reference drivers on a mobile card... Though you may want to make sure your fans cool the card at correct temps... I never have had a problem with my go 7900 gs, but you never know.

Guide to installing reference drivers by tigerwolf7

That's how... 

No Events found!