Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2017 18:00

E Port Plus serial port

Hi I have a Dell Latitude 3570 laptop running WIndows 7, plugged into an E-Port Plus dock. I need to use the serial port on the dock, but I can't find any instructions for how to access it. Does the port automatically get associated with a COM port, or do I have to do something manually? Device Manager says this regarding COM ports:

I assume it's COM1, because that port only shows up in Device Manager when the laptop is plugged into the dock. I can send data without errors to COM1 but it does not appear to come out the other end of the serial cable. Do I have to do anything to enable or configure the port? Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 7th, 2017 19:00

Yes, that device would be your dock's serial port, and you can change the COM port if needed by going to the properties of that device, I think under the Advanced tab.  Anyhow, what do you have connected to the other end of the serial cable?  Typically serial devices have specific requirements for baud rate, flow control, hardware acceleration, etc, all of which would be configured in the properties for that device you highlighted.  Finally, certainly devices require cables that use a specific internal wiring, so called "null" vs. "straight-through" cables, so make sure you're using the right cable for whatever you're trying to connect to.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2017 18:00

To be able to test a COM port, you need something on the other end.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2017 05:00

OK, so it's just the normal RS-232 hassles that we dealt with 30 years ago. Man, I thought we were over those... Thanks for confirming I don't have to do anything in software.

No Events found!