Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2016 16:00

E6540 screen: is it possible to upgrade to higher resolution?

present machine has 1366x768

i am looking at replacement screen with 1920x1080

will it work?  do i need to do anything special?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 30th, 2016 18:00

Sizing is only part of the issue - the rest is compatibility.  You can't just drop in a screen by size - notebooks are coded in BIOS to work with the screens they ship from the factory with.

You may want to look up the specifications of your system (support.dell.com; use the service tag) - or call Dell Spare Parts -- or  contact a third-party Dell reseller like parts-people.com.  You can upgrade but will need to find out what you have in the system now in order to decide on the parts you'll need.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 30th, 2016 17:00

It is possible - you will need a screen compatible with your system and possibly a new wiring harness (some of these use LVDS cables, which likely need to be replaced if you upgrade the resolution;  others use EDP cables that should work with either resolution).

You will also lose your warranty, if you have one remaining - upgrading the screen will void the warranty.

19 Posts

June 30th, 2016 18:00

ej, thanks for reply.   i am still looking for some more detail if possible.

the replacement screen site says yes it will fit an e6540.    but it does not say anything about if i can use it to upgrade mine, or if it needs the cable you mentioned, or how to replace such a cable.

i do know that some e6540's did have the higher resolution screen when they came out.

No Events found!