Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AS

November 12th, 2014 02:00

E7440 touch - can I retro-fit non-touch matte display?

I have this funny problem:

- I hate silver/light gray finish of non-touch e7440 but prefer it's matte screen over glossy touch screen.

- I like visuals of E7440 touch with it's dark grey and carbon.

Therefore I plan to buy e7440 touch and if I won't be happy with the glossy screen, I would like to retro-fit a standard non-touch matte screen. Is it possible (screen back lids are the same in case of touch and non-touch models) or are there some physical differences between the screens and carbon/non-carbon lids?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 12th, 2014 02:00

The parts won't interchange between the touch and non-touch screens, no.  They are indeed different.

9 Posts

November 12th, 2014 14:00

Ouch! So the question is what are the differences?

From what I'm seeing on the Internet the non-touch screen has additional plastic bezel on the screen, whereas touch screen is a 1 piece of glass in place of this plastic bezel.

Question is can:

A) I simply add also this plastic bezel when retrofitting non-touch matte screen,

B) or carbon back case of the screen don't have clips to snap this plastic bezel

C) motherboard connector is totally different.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2014 03:00

The bezel and glass panel are glued to the frame - it makes no sense to disassemble a brand new system (voiding the warranty) just to change the color of the cover.  If that's what you want to do, consider either having it painted or using a back cover decal in the color of your choice.

November 18th, 2017 12:00

Dear apa-sl,

I would like to kindly ask you if you have made an attempt to carry out this modification? I have a touch cover that I would like to use with an E7440 that currently features a broken, non-touch LCD cover. Is there a way to make this nice, carbon look cover compatible with the non-touch screen?

picpaste.com/IMG_20171104_135848-CaOqnVh2.jpg

Many thanks,

Viktor

No Events found!