Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2014 12:00

Enable Touchscreen Capabilities Fresh Windows 8.1 Install - Dell XPS 15 9530

So I got one that stumped me. I just got a new Dell computer yesterday and as I've done the last 10+ yrs, I install a fresh retail copy because, like most people, hate dealing with their extra software and prefer a clean install so I just don't have to deal with uninstalling, etc. Turns out that may have been a bad idea. After the install was done, touch no longer works on the screen. I have installed the drivers from Dell's site to no avail. The device manager has no missing hardware and all windows updates are current. My system info recognized there is pen and touch capability. I also checked the Pen and Touch settings under the touch tab and that all seems to be correct (all I have to compare those settings to is a Dell Venue 8 Pro, but they are the same). My suspicion, and I could be way off on this, is that I'm using a retail copy instead of the OEM copy of Windows 8.1. I tired a Pro and a regular retail (yes, both legal copies) and neither worked. I do know the new computers have the key embedded in the uefi (bios). I have tried installing with and without overriding the embedded key. But that is the only thing I can think of and I'm hoping you guys had some ideas or someone else has had this problem and can help me troubleshoot. Model: Dell XPS 15 9530 with the QHD+ Touch Monitor. Update: I've ruled out retail vs oem fresh installs. I tried an install using the Dell backup/restore discs. Same deal. It's gotta be some sort of setting, or driver that's not on their site.

16 Posts

May 12th, 2014 19:00

I still can't figure out what went wrong, but Dell came out and swapped the screen out and it works perfectly. I swear it worked out of the box, so I have no clue how the hardware would've failed so fast but the good news is it's fixed!

76 Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

FWIW, I also do clean installs on new computers for similar reasons. In my case, I used the Win8.1 disk that I received after requesting it from Dell. The touchscreen is enabled and working with no specific driver or action needed. But, I did do the firmware update from Dell for the touchscreen before the clean install.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2016 09:00

I feel your pain.  But be careful with the Dell techs and fixes.

I had screen issues.  Took about 9 months of dealing with Dell tech before they agreed to replace my screen.  I sent it back to Dell.

They ignored my Intel driver error message and just replaced the screen. After sending back to Dell and having two in-house Dell tech visits, the screen kind of works; but I was still getting an error message.  A Dell Tech took control of the PC and deleted drivers, disabled hardware and reconfigured my machine.  T

Now I have a myriad of other issues.  My screen wont shut off; the computer gets extremely hot and the fan runs constantly.

I am now dealing with "Dell Corporate" They informed me they knew of the issue and will now be able to "fix"  The solution is my  Dell  XPS 9530 cannot run Windows 10 or MS Office.  They would revert back to windows 8 but not guarantee MS office will be backwards compatible.

DELL CORPORATE SOLUTION IS A JOKE. DELL IS A JOKE.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUT A DELL.

No Events found!