Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

101 Posts

October 10th, 2006 19:00

Ethernet controller driver

How do I identify which Intel ethernet controller the 8200 has? Device Manager is telling me it can't locate the driver. The controller isn't identified as Intel but things I've read seem to indicate that's probably the case. The Dell driver download page has the driver for the 3com 3c920 ethernet adapter but no reference to other ethernet controller drivers. If I know the type of adapter, I can probably find the driver at Intel or somewhere else.

11.9K Posts

October 11th, 2006 01:00

muffinman wrote:
How do I identify which Intel ethernet controller the 8200 has? Device Manager is telling me it can't locate the driver. The controller isn't identified as Intel but things I've read seem to indicate that's probably the case. The Dell driver download page has the driver for the 3com 3c920 ethernet adapter but no reference to other ethernet controller drivers. If I know the type of adapter, I can probably find the driver at Intel or somewhere else.

Install the CHIPSET driver first, then the 3Com driver.

101 Posts

October 11th, 2006 03:00

The 3com 3c920 driver is installed already. Are you saying I should uninstall it before installing the chipset driver?

11.9K Posts

October 11th, 2006 10:00

muffinman wrote:
The 3com 3c920 driver is installed already. Are you saying I should uninstall it before installing the chipset driver?

No, just install the chipset and see what happens.  It should have been the FIRST driver you installed.

4 Posts

October 11th, 2006 19:00

101 Posts

October 12th, 2006 00:00

@rickmktg wrote:

@muffinman wrote:

Install the CHIPSET driver first, then the 3Com driver.

I reinstalled the chipset software from Dell, R34506, and it didn't fix the ethernet controller driver problem. My situation isn't part of a WinXp reinstall, I simply had the ethernet driver go missing for some reason. Device Manager says it needs a driver and can't find one. The 3com hardware and driver is still functioning properly.

101 Posts

October 12th, 2006 00:00

@jassas wrote:
Semply go to Intel web site and download Identification Utility 

Good luck

Will identifying the my computer's chipset put me on the road to identifying the driver for the Intel NIC that must be the problem?

101 Posts

October 12th, 2006 01:00

@jassas wrote:
Semply go to Intel web site and download Identification Utility 

Good luck

My 8200 has an Intel 845MP/MZ chipset. Will this help me identify a driver for the Intel integrated network adaptor?

4 Posts

October 12th, 2006 05:00

Try this software it is Unknown Device Identifier here is the link to download. http://www.worldssp.net/download.asp?proid=6412
this small program will help you find you device it will list all of your devices.
good luck

101 Posts

October 12th, 2006 07:00

@jassas wrote:
Try this software it is Unknown Device Identifier here is the link to download. http://www.worldssp.net/download.asp?proid=6412

this small program will help you find you device it will list all of your devices.

good luck

Thanks for the link. It seems the ethernet controller lacking a driver is a 3com chip. The utility listed it as Ethernet Controller [unknown] and the chip as 3COM Corp., Networking Division. The PnpID was the same as the driverless Ethernet Controller shown in Device Manager. Still, without a name for it I'm having a hard time identifying the driver. I'll look some more.

101 Posts

October 12th, 2006 18:00

Is the driverless ethernet controller something I actually need to remedy? How is my system's performance impacted by this? I have my DSL box hooked up to my ethernet connection and it's working properly.

101 Posts

October 16th, 2006 17:00

The cause of the "driverless ethernet controller" issue was simply my Verizon DSL modem being connected to my computer. I happened to view the device manager when my DSL was disconnected and saw that Other Devices | Ethernet Controller and the yellow exclamation marks were gone. Mystery solved.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

hi

No Events found!