Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2011 00:00

External 3 TB hdd not recognized as 3TB but as 746 GB

I have an Inspirion N7010 notebook, win7 64 bit. I also have a Hitachi 3TB hdd and the computer will not read the entire drive.  I did install  Intel Rapid Storage technology software and now it won't see the drive but want it installed on the external port 4 which is eSata. I am using the drive as USB.  Somebody on the forum suggested uninstalling all the usb root hubs and rebooting.  I have spent countless hours with both Dell tech support and Intel tech support as well as Hitachi.  I am getting frustrated.  I know it isn't the computer because my other win 7 desktop also won't see the full 3TB.  Help please.

2.9K Posts

August 5th, 2011 02:00

Redheadedweirdo,

First off, I would do a system restore to a point prior to installing the Hitachi 3Tb drive.  Then I would download and install Intel's Rapid Storage Technology version 10.1 or newer.  RST version 10.0 and older versions will report the drive as 746Gb in Windows.

Let us know how you fare.

Tony

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2011 05:00

Is this a pre-built external drive, or a situation where you purchased a drive and a case separately?  If the latter, it sounds like the controller in the case you purchased doesn't support a drive that large.

August 5th, 2011 15:00

i also installed inel's rapid storage software version 10.6.0.1022  that is the newest that i can find.

i was just told that i need to use estata not usb to get the computers to read the full drive.

this is an external hard drive being used with a notebook and a desktop.  all the hardware is less than 2 months old. all the software and bios is updated and i built the desktop.

October 6th, 2011 02:00

I have the same problem as you, but for an XPS desktop 435T/9000, have two 3TB hitachi drives, trying to install in my desktop with RAID 1, when installed hard drives only read 750GB instead of 3TB.  Did you solve the problem?  Cheers.   Am reading about updating the Raid drivers using the intel site.  Yeah Dell Hong Kong wasn't helpful at all, they said they can Raid 2T so shouldn't be a problem for 3TB, but they never said they could do it, or suggest anything I should be doing to my computer, such as updating intel drivers.

No Events found!