Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

25 Posts

May 19th, 2004 04:00

External Hard Drive Questions

Have been reading through the postings regarding External Hard Drives and I have some questions.  Wondering if anyone would care to give a bit of insight.

1) Would like a hard drive as offline storage.  Portability no an issue, looking for large capacity storage that is simple and all in one place.  Reccomendations?

2) What is firewire?

3) Can the two USB ports on my Inspiron 5100 support multi port hubs simultaneously?

Thanks

220 Posts

May 24th, 2004 19:00

1. They're all the same. I recommend getting a cheap drive of your choice from newegg.com and pick up a drive enclosure from them, computergeeks.com, or on eBay. I've used a lot--expensive and cheap--and they are all the same.

2. Type that into Google and you'll get lots of answers. Too long to type. Basically it's an alternative to USB. MUCH faster than USB 1.1 and slightly faster than USB 2. If you don't have USB 2 on your machine, you want a Firewire enclosure for your drive.

3. Yes.

454 Posts

June 1st, 2004 10:00

1) I would recommend getting a hitachi 3.5" hdd as they are the leading hard disk manufacturer right now and i've had very bad experiences with maxtor drives and never trusted seagate nor western digital, although many people seem to have no problem using them. And also get the 7200 rpm drives if possible, get the sata version as reliability will be higher. why the higher rpm drives? because it will affect your transfer speed later on.

2) I'm not very familiar with firewire, but technically speaking, firewire is supposed to be slower than usb 2, however, firewires have a constant transfer speed of 400mbps? but anyways their transfer speed is constant. and usb 2 have a maximum of 480mbps transfer rate, but notice it's maximum, not constant. so if your transferring gigabits of datas around then use the firewire. however, firewire enclosures tend to be more expensive, a tad more only.

220 Posts

June 1st, 2004 14:00

Where did you find the SATA external drive enclosures?

454 Posts

June 1st, 2004 15:00

i didn't buy the one with sata which i truly regretted... but if you'd like to, there is one from argosy, the model is hd 360su, you can see the product online at www.argosy.com.tw

No Events found!