Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2011 08:00

F-keys and Function button

Hello, people, I just bought my new N5010 laptop and I'm extremely satisfied with it so far. However there's a tiny problem I find really annoying.

In order to use my F-keys (F1, F2 etc.) I have to use the Fn button, and if I press the buttons without holding Fn the quickset buttons are used instead (brightness, volume etc.) The problem is that I want to invert these settings and use the F-keys without holding Fn, and use the quickset buttons by holding Fn. I happen to use the F-keys way more often than the quickset buttons (it's extremely annoying when I play online games and need to press F2 quickly and all that happens is turning off my wireless, also combinations like Alt+F-key are very hard to use quickly (Lineage 2 players would understand this xD). So my question is "What is the way to invert these settings? I want to use F-keys without holding Fn button." Thanks for your support.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2011 09:00

there is a setting in BIOS to change this

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much, I've been looking for this option for about 2 weeks now xD

Thanks, I'm gonna search for it right away!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 17th, 2011 10:00

:emotion-1:  Glad you got it working.

934 Posts

January 17th, 2011 14:00

There might be a second option for your system(I've got an inspiron 1545)

I assume you have Win7.

click the start button and in the search bar type : windows mobility center.

If windows mobility center is listed click it.Within the new window you have the option "Fn Key Behaviour"

With that option you can change the Function key behaviour "on the fly" without having to enter the BIOS.

If it works look for the file that starts the program "Windows mobility center".Its name quickset.exe.

Should be located in C:\Program Files\Dell\  - you can pin this file to the taskbar so that you have easy access to it.

February 6th, 2011 09:00

I just saw your reply, Microtest, and thanks for the suggestion. I started Windows Mobility Center, but there does not appear to be Fn Key Behavior, maybe that is because I uninstalled my Dell Quickset utility. Why would I do that you'd ask? Simple. If I press caps lock, or use the volume control buttons there's a little pop-up box that appears on my screen showing Caps On/Off or the volume bar. Now, if I'm running a game and press a mouse button quickly after using one of these the stupid thing minimizes my game as if I've clicked on the pop-up box :emotion-40: So, I uninstalled quickset and now it's ok :)

No Events found!