Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2017 14:00

Failed Bios Update and Other Problems

A Dell laptop that I got around September worked fine at first, but about two weeks ago it stopped charging. I was meet with messages that said the charger adapter type and power could not be determined. Though my battery would not charge, it was still able to use energy provided by the adapter to run. After getting sick of not being able to unplug my laptop, I stumbled upon this post: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19451836

The employee who responded to this post claimed there was a fix to this problem, that fix being a BIOS update. I followed the instructions given. I downloaded the system detect program as to not use the wrong files. After it detected what system I had, it gave me the appropriate files. Keep in mind, I am still on Dells website and following the advice of a Dell employee. After the files had downloaded, I double-clicked and ran it. I was given a prompt that I should close all other programs before a continued with the update. I did so. After that, things went down hill. It got through a small portion of the update before my mouse froze. The fans in my laptop were on full blast. I had no choice but to hard reset. Now my laptop is unable to boot. I am at a loss as what to do. I cannot afford a new laptop;  the money just isn't there. I can't repair it either, money still being a huge issue. I am taking very demanding courses in school right now; a computer is a necessity, not just a need if I wish to be successful. 

I would not have made this post if it were not for the fact that this was the advice of a certified Dell employee, and I followed the instructions of Dell and I used files that were provided by Dell. I was given no waning that doing a BIOS update could result in this. Because of this, I believe that Dell should be able to compensate me in some way. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 08:00

" I had no choice but to hard reset. Now my laptop is unable to boot ".

:emotion-2:

Please list Dell model number and version of windows ? Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, the system power on ? You tried to boot into BIOS(F2 key) or Dell Preboot Diagnostic (F12 key)? If no, I suggest you do so at this time. Please follow steps below:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, flash drive, external drive, etc....).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F2 key(or F12 diagnostic) continuously. Hopefully you're able to see the BIOS setup.

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you.

BIOS Recovery 2 options on a Dell PC or Tablet | Dell US

EDIT:

5 Posts

January 18th, 2017 17:00

It's a Dell Inspiron 5555 With Windows 10. Thank you for the reply and I will try to do the instructions listed.

5 Posts

January 19th, 2017 02:00

My system does not have a built-in BIOS recovery system. On the video in the BIOS recovery article it says to contact tech support to obtain the recovery files. What is the best way to contact tech support to get these files?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 19th, 2017 16:00

I have a few more suggestions before contacting Technical Support.

Method 1 -Reseat Coin-Cell(Motherboard) battery

1. Power off system, disconnect all peripherals, and then remove AC adapter and battery. Open case and remove motherboard battery.

2. Replace motherboard battery and then press "Power On" button for 15 seconds to release Status Flea Power. It might be good idea to install a brand new motherboard battery. You can purchase one at your local dollar store or Walmart for about $2.00 -$5.00

3. Replace battery, adapter, and then power on system. Hopefully reseating motherboard battery will reset BIOS to all default settings and you'll be able to boot back into windows.

Inspiron 15 5555 Service Manual - Page 35

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 19th, 2017 16:00

Removing Battery:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 19th, 2017 17:00

Method 2

I suggest you purchase a USB flash drive(8GB or 16GB, recommend SanDisk ) at your local Walmart. After you purchase it, please find another computer (local library),download the latest BIOS update from your Dell Product Support page, and then save file to the computer. Please follow instructions in link below:

How to update your System BIOS using a USB Flash Drive

5 Posts

January 19th, 2017 17:00

Thank you for the information. I'll try these out.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2017 03:00

I got ahold of a flash drive and the recovery files. I followed the instructions and my computer boots up now. Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 20th, 2017 06:00

Glad your computer is fix now. Thanks for the update....:emotion-2:

No Events found!