Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2013 05:00

Fan constantly blowing in new Inspiron 15R

I received a brand new Inspiron 15R 5521 on Wednesday.  It's running Windows 8 and around 30 seconds after starting Windows, the fan starts up and then never stops.  I haven't installed any programs and the fan starts without opening any programs or apps.  I've gone through the device manager and checked that every device has the latest software as well as installing any Windows updates.  It already had the latest bios but I tried re-installing that with no affect.  I've ran through the diagnostics from the boot menu and everything passes.  The computer is not even warm to the touch when the fan starts and the CPU usage is in single figures.  I've also re-installed Windows using the backup image.  What could the problem be and how do I go about fixing it?

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 15:00

I have always enjoyed the products of Dell. I've always had laptops from Dell. I have a monitor from Dell.

And this time, I have believed to Dell. But when I bought it I was very disappointed. This noise from new laptop is stronger than my old Inspiron 6400. The build quality is also terrible (compared with 6400).

When I bought it, it was a version of BIOS A06 and Linux. I installed Windows 8 - it did not help. I installed the A07 - it did not help. I installed the A08 and it did not help.

I bought my laptop in the store of my friend, and did not return it because I did not want to create problems for him. If I bought it from a regular store - I would return.

Sorry for my English.

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi was your issue resolved? I'm facing the same problem...

4 Posts

August 4th, 2013 05:00

No, issue does not resolved. I have a last version of BIOS. It seems to me that the problem is that fan has only two speeds:  min & max.

25 Posts

August 4th, 2013 11:00

Pal, I updated the bios to A08, have been using laptop for 30 mins, no problem So far, hope the issue is resolved, will use for more days ahead and share the outcome

1 Message

August 12th, 2013 01:00

I bought a dell inspiron 15r, but this laptop is having tremendous fan sound. is this bios which you said is it compatable with 15 r. please suggest

1 Message

September 19th, 2013 20:00

Hi

I have the Dell Inspiron 15 3521 and had the fan noise issue.

Del just gave a solution for that problem with a new BIOS Ver A09 - It solving the problem and my computer is totally quiet right now.

November 4th, 2013 10:00

i got the same laptop - dell inspiron 15R 5521 two days ago and I'm facing the same issue. Did you find any solution?

25 Posts

November 4th, 2013 11:00

Namaste Priya, don't worry about the fan, it's a software (BIOS) issue. First of all you should know the exact model of your laptop...register it with Dell, in your laptop check the BIOS version....read this page it might be helpful...http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_148562

The BIOS version is indicated by A06 or A05 etc...goto Dell webpage and download the latest version and flash your laptop with latest version... Remember improper flashing can render your laptop useless, so please be careful, do some research before flashing new BIOS, ask professional help if in doubt, but let me tell you it's very easy...good luck pal

November 6th, 2013 06:00

I found a workaround solution for the fan problem.

First of all, please make sure that you have the latest drivers for the video card/s ( Intel & AMD ).

The second step is to modify the windows 7/8/8.1 power plans to set "Max CPU" to 78%, which will limit the CPU to 1.85 GHz. The issue I found is that the CPU isn't recognized properly by the BIOS/Windows, and instead of being a 2.0 GHz CPU it is seen as a 2.5 GHz CPU.

Setting the max CPU above 78% will allow the CPU to go into Turbo Boost, and boost up to 3.0 GHz. As soon as that frequency is reached, the Fan will blow constantly, and never stop. 

The other potential problem is bad video card drivers, if the dedicated video card isn't recognized in windows, it will overheat the entire laptop, so the fan will blow constantly.

My CPU is i7 3537U.

The fan will still go on and blow from time to time, but it stays off most of the time.

(Your experience might vary, this has worked for me).

I don't know about the BIOS update, mine is at the latest version A11.

19 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 17:00

MY situation  partially related Laptop runs on a aluminum stand on side of desk, 2 external 1080p monitors, internal display shuts off its self. laptop runs silently then the fans roar, for a good few minutes at a time.

So i unplug both screens, and the fans are a bit quiter, however are now constantly running.

THE DETAILS :

With monitors on:  all temps 4 cores and 2 gpus show around 46-48 degree C. fan speed 35%

Without monitors : all 4 core temps 50 degrees C, and the 2 gpus show 0 degrees C fan speed 20% but seems to constantly run.

That is the case with and without power-supply.

History of laptop and GPU

Win 7 to Win 8 upgrade Graphics cards failure many attempts of drivers fro AMD and Intel and Dell pages, in the end it all worked fine.

Win 8 to 8.1 same issue, AMD card failure and Catalyst control centre (CCC) was failing. Did a clean install, disabled Win update, and installed standalone AMD driver no CCC.

Photoshop, GPU-Z, Argus Software, SPEEDFAN, all recognize both cards with drivers being fine!

I downloaded CCC clicked custom set up, only software it could recommend was Update manager, it seems CCC is unsupported by Win 8.1.

Seems laptop may need to come apart for a clean as i cant work with this noise!

25 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 19:00

Hello Burgatti, your problem seems to be completed, I hope some Dell personnel will solve your issue soon. Did you check for any hardware or software incompatibility through the win 7 or win 8 wizard? Most important, did u update the bios as recommended by Dell? There must be several bios versions since u got your laptop, why not update one at a time, chronologically.... Mine fan issue was related to bios, good luck..

19 Posts

March 25th, 2014 11:00

Update 2: I am already on latest Bios  A10, and yesterday AMD card crashed drivers, they reloaded fine though.

Then at idle, the AMD card not in use, and Speedfan shows 0 deg for GPU and warmer CPU temps.

Once ive opened Photoshop, AMD card comes in to play at 47 deg, and CPU drops down to arround 46 deg from around 50.

Either way fan, is silent then blasts out for a good 2 minutes and repeatedly does this, im tempted to replace thermal paste..

March 26th, 2014 02:00

Hi Burgattti,

I've resorted to controlling the fan through SpeedFan. I have the fan always at 35% PWM, which is the minimum amount required for the fans to spin at a low speed. I've made it so the fans will blow to 100% when the CPU reaches 75 degrees C.

If you use an external monitor on this laptop, the dedicated video card is in use, regardless if you set it to power saver (video card settings), but SpeedFan doesn't register the card as running, it still says 0 deg.

Since I've made this change with SpeedFan, the computer is usable and it has a barely audible hum. It rarely gets to full blast, mostly when I play video games.

Hope this helps you.

P.S. in SpeedFan, if you tick the checkbox for "Enable DELL Support", in the options menu, and restart it, you can control the fans. also it is useful to tick the "minimize on close" checkbox. I've also added a scheduled task to start SpeedFan as soon as i log in. When I restart the notebook it goes full blast until SpeedFan kicks in. 

May 21st, 2014 11:00

I am facing fan continuously running problem in dell vostro 2520. Already dell has replaced mother board and heat sink but the problem persists!!! Please suggest. 

19 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 11:00

I'd try some improved thermal grease/compound

No Events found!