Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 11:00

Fan noise on XPS 13 (9343, Early 2015)

Hi,

I just received my XPS 13 and the fan noise is louder than I was expecting.  It is on almost constantly and will spin up and down repeatedly.

Is this normal, all I have really done is install office and some other apps.  Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice offered

1 Message

March 5th, 2015 12:00

I've had the 9343 xps 13 for three weeks now. The first two weeks the machine ran perfect, but this week I'm starting to have problems with the fan:

- The fan is constantly on while charging, even if the laptop is idle (CPU temp is < 40C). And by idle I mean nothing is running, no background update stuff, no windows installer module, NOTHING. This is not normal at all, especially for a premium notebook. If I cannot get this fixed by the end of this week I will return the machine.

- While messing with dell support agent / dell command power thing, somehow the CPU got stuck at the minimum freq. i.e. 0.57ghz. I had to go into the bios, reset all parameters and force reboot a few times, now it works alright. How long will it last though ?? EDIT: It happened again. I changed how the battery is charged in the dell command power manager and the CPU got stuck to 0.57ghz again. I had to load the default settings in the BIOS to repair this. Very annoying. EDIT3: Happened again, I was just doing work, nothing out of the ordinary, suddenly bam, cpu stuck to 0.57ghz.

I was very pleased the first two weeks, but now I have a lot of problems with this notebook.

EDIT2: I removed all the dell stuff from my computer and the fans stopped running ! Incredible, how good it is when your notebook stops making awful souds !. My advice is remove all the dell support stuff, dell update and other *malware* pushing buggy updates on your computer without your knowledge or approval. Shame on you dell. 

130 Posts

March 6th, 2015 03:00

There are other videos with the same vibrating fan sound.

Seems Dell fitted a really cheap fan that can go out of balance and rub against its housing if you shake the machine.

Dell fans are so much louder than those other manufacturers use, I think they're going to the cheapest supplier to save a few cents on each machine.

Other manufacturers build their machines up to a standard, Dell build them down to a price.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2015 03:00

does anyone has similar fan sound while moving it ?

for me it sounds liek it is defekt

http://youtu.be/ynQ4OUxEEak

6 Posts

March 6th, 2015 04:00

@CurbedLarry: thank you for the information. Which however makes me fuirous to see that they had this problem with the old xps 13  ALSO, SAME ISSUE... Srsly didnt they lern ANYTHING?

Mine it going back on monday and if i dont see a valid reason ill go for the x1 carbon! for which i dont have to wait 1.5 weeks to arrive!!!

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 05:00

I just received my Dell XPS 13 with QHD and i7 processer. I had the exact same problems as you Guys have been describing. However, I deleted all the Dell pre-installed programs as well as the Mcfee anti-virus program. This worked very nicely for me!

6 Posts

March 6th, 2015 07:00

@Mknutzer: did u have the same fan sound as i showed in my youtube video a few comments above?

the "wobbling " sound while tilting the notebook?

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 09:00

@Resiak Yes, I have the same sound with the fan. However, now the computer is dead-silent when i'm on the internet, using word, excel, powerpoint etc. I don't really mind that sound, because I won't be using it when moving around, but...

March 7th, 2015 08:00

How do you check if the cpu is at 0.57 GHz?

2 Posts

March 13th, 2015 06:00

Same problem here... the i7 model 5600 QHD touch.

Fan is driving me mad. Continuously noise. Just browsing in Chrome. Especial when the laptop is charging... the fan never stops...(only on battery and not touching it)

Removed all the Dell software.... updated to the latest BIOS.. Nothing helps.

Turning off Turbo boost keeps the XPS quiet, but the performance is dramatic... CPU never goes over 1.0GHz.

Unbelievable we have to tweak this thing to have a normal silent ultrabook, and still after tweaking it is still nothing better.

I sold my quiet macbook for this noisy expensive laptop... very disappointing

Hope dell will come with a fix.

Some people have more options??

March 15th, 2015 11:00

Similar problem i7-5600, fans go up ONLY when charging
- fans go down when charging is at 90%
- using BatteryBar you can see charge rate.
- in the beginning it charges at 28000mwH, around 90% it drops down to 7000mwH
- using speedfan I see DIMM (ram memory) getting warm (55°C)
- also charger seems to get relatively warm

My hypothesis is that
(a) charging at high rate makes battery very hot
(b) battery is close to DIMM? or heats up other parts of the system? (check http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/dell-xps-13-9343-disassembly/)
(c) the fan triggers when DIMM gets too hot

The above suggest that it is a design issue which unfortunately cannot be fixed. The fan noise is not caused by bad windows power plan settings. Maybe the heat management can be made more flexible with a BIOS update, though, then things will become warmer inside.

March 15th, 2015 14:00

I was optimistic, now I changed my mind

@0-80%: crazy fan noise (intense, non-stop; even when in idle)

@80-100% still fan noise (not always, but still prominent with basic activities)

- (charger) opening firefox/youtube = fan noise

- (battery) playing 10 youtube movies at once = no noise

maybe something is wrong with charger, heating up the motherboard unnecessarily. Or maybe fan management is just too aggressive?

Please fix this: It is in your own interest. Dell is losing everyday money from people sending back their unit.

March 15th, 2015 14:00

Same config (i7-5600), similar problem ! fans go up only when charging and go down when charging is around 80-90 %

I have updated BIOS to the latest version A01.

I purchased my XPS last week, I got it wednesday but this week my config with this processor (i7-5600) is not available anymore on Dell website.

The most powerfull processor is now  i7-5500http://www.dell.com/fr/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

This is really strange... Is there a known issue with this i7-5600 ??

Dell we would appreciate a reply on this!

2 Posts

March 15th, 2015 17:00

All,

I will try to start a chat with Dell support tomorrow to address this issue. Will also mention this forum.

Maybe you guys can do the same. If more people address this issue at Dell, maybe Dell will take this issue more seriously.

Thank you.

jilles.

23 Posts

March 16th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

I'm also having the fan noise issue when plugged in. I have the i5 QHD version. The fan noise is so loud it sounds like the laptop is going to explode. What the hell!

No problems when using the battery. Guess I can't use it when plugged in. Totally unacceptable!

March 17th, 2015 08:00

Previous XPS 13 laptop had similar issue. They were able to do simple fix with BIOS update

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/03/21/xps-13-fan-noise-fix/

Hopefully the machines are not designed bad and a BIOS update is possible.

Apparently we have to force Dell to work on it. Everybody having this problem, let Dell hear your voice in this thread!.

No Events found!