Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2013 15:00

Flickering pixels and bluish-screen.

Hi,

I have been having a problem with my Dell Inspiron n5110 laptop. It was working completely fine until today.

At first, all of a sudden while using the laptop in morning, the screen started giving weird green flickering pixels/micro-dots on various parts of the screen (not whole screen). I shut it down instantly and after a while started it back. The issue remained and then in a few minutes they went away. It was working fine again. I shut it down after using it around an hour or so. In evening, i started using it again and same problem arrived while watching a video. Parts of the screen flickered with green dots..and they seemed to form patterns with animations (videos or even buttons on windows that light upon moving cursor on them). Then a few bands (thick horizontal stripes) started moving across the screen from bottom to up. And now (within half an hour) the whole screen is greenish-blue with weird pixels stagnant on whole screen. Attached is a screenshot of the screen. Kindly let me know what is this problem and the solution for it.
I googled for this problem and found out that it might be an issue with graphic card heating. But i have taken care of this laptop more than usual. I use a Cooler Master Dual fan cooler (with special cool aluminium body)  every time I use the laptop. Since this is my working laptop, I have never played games on this laptop that demand high-end graphics or anything such. I have a separate desktop machine with high-end graphics card and processor for gaming/graphics purpose. When i purchased the laptop, it used to heat up a lot especially below left corner of the keyboard (left of touchpad). I immediately purchased the cooler and even then the heat-up problem persisted. I found out on the internet that this specific model has body-design issues and heats up a lot. Since then, just to be cautious, I never left the use of cooler. 

I will be very thankful for your support. Looking anxiously forward for assistance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Check the cable first - if it's OK,  then it's the screen.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

First check:  attach an external monitor.  It it shows the same fault, you likely do have a bad video chip (and will need to replace the mainboard).  If it shows a good image, next would be to reseat both ends of the display cable and check for damage.  If it's damaged, replace the cable. If that doesn't help, replace the display panel.

I just checked on an external lcd. The display on the second screen is impeccable. Without any glitch.

Cable? It is a laptop screen. Do you mean the inside cable?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes.  One end is connected to the mainboard and the other to the back of the screen.

Disassembly video:

August 4th, 2013 16:00

Thank you so much for your help.

No Events found!