Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

T

August 18th, 2006 20:00

Follow up to "My 8 month old B-120 is dead"

Dear Dave or whomever:

My local vendor has informed me that my motherboard is history!! This cost me $50.00 to learn that it would cost an additional $400.00 to repair!! All this from an 8 month old product. According to said vendor, this is a common problem with this series.
Had I known I was purchasing a "disposable" computer, I would have opted for the extended warranty. I guess quality is not a priority at Dell. I just hope that our missle defense system is not in Dell's hands! Apparently, Dell waits until the customer has no recourse .I know that I'm just one customer but it appears that there are many others.
A company's success depends on quality and customer satisfaction. Maybe Dell should spend more on the product and less on advertising ...."Dude, I'm gettin a disposable Dell'". I know that Dell has a full-time employee (s) that reads and responds to these postings. I fully expect a somewhat glib response stating that I should have purchased the extended warranty.
I'm now the proud owner of a $600.00 poorly designed Frisbee!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 18th, 2006 21:00

Effectively all notebooks sold below $1,000 are disposable. If you think Dell's price for a system board is unreasonable, price one for a Toshiba or an HP/Compaq - they go for up to $850.

Yes, you assumed the responsibility for repair by saving money up front with a 90-day warranty. You had the choice, gambled and lost. Doesn't matter if it's a Dell, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony or any other - they're all about the same in reliability.

Assuming you replace it with another, buy a 3-year warranty or you could find yourself in the same boat after another 90 day or 1 year warranty.

Are you a dell employee?    My bet is YES!    The fact is, a quality machine should not take a dump after 8 FN months. I don't give a ratz patoot about replacement costs for the other brands.   If a machine that costs less than a grand is disposible, they should market it as such!  Respond to that smart A.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

First, calm down. Ranting isn't going to fix anything.

If you think Dell is the only company whose notebooks fail within a short period of time, go ahead and buy another make with a short warranty.

Fact: 20% or so of all notebooks, regardless of brand, have a major failure within 3 years (considered a useful lifespan).

Fact: Dell isn't the best, but they're not the worst out there. They're also less expensive to repair than many others.

Fact: ALL notebooks are expensive to repair when they break.

You made a mistake by taking a 90-day warranty on a product with a 20% failure rate and ended up the 1 in 5 that have major failure.

I do not work for Dell, but have worked with just about every major brand of notebook out there. I'd put HP/Compaq as the pits for reliability, and Lenovo/IBM on top. Dell is somewhere in the middle.

Message Edited by ejn63 on 08-18-200606:46 PM

9 Posts

August 20th, 2006 18:00

Timothyfish: I am sorry that you are blaiming Dell for your mistake. You need to look at the reason why you choose to buy a computer with no warranty, especially a portable system. In good faith, Dell offered a 90 day warranty in case something happens to the system. If you feel 90 days is not enough time, then Dell offers different warranty contracts to fit specific needs of their customers.This goes for any product. If you choose to not bid for that extended warranty, then you need to blame yourself. You stated, "I guess quality is not a priority at Dell." You choose to purchase the low-end portable model from Dell. If you are looking for better quality, then you should purchase a Latitude or Precision line of portables. In that case, you are looking above $1000 for a higher quality system. Look at it this way, If you bought a car with no warranty on it and you have a problem mechanically on the car, would you go back to the manufacturer and complain to them they don't care about quality? If you did, they would tell you the same thing, "If you didn't purchase the warranty, then you will be responsible for paying for the repairs."

If you did your research, you would see that portable systems have more expensive parts than a desktop computer. And choosing a low-end system will result in lower-quality parts. "Even though this notebook was entry-level, it wasn't cheap." This indicates to me that you knew that it was an entry level notebook, and to correct you, $600 is a low-end price for a portable computer.

No matter who the manufacturer is, make sure you do your research, especially when it comes to portables.

August 20th, 2006 19:00

Thanks for your concern......................However,  This laptop never left my house.................It was never bounced around or abused in any way.    If I was gonna drive it , fly it, or depend on it for my safety in any way , I would have bought a VOLVO.  Are you suggesting that one has to buy the top of the line if one expects it to last more than 8 months? I have a 20 inch TV that came with DVD player................COST=  less than 200.00.   5yrs. old and works fine.  My point is..............If a product can't stand on its own.....for a reasonable amount of time................It's a sub-standard product.   No response is nessessary...............I'm not going to waste anymore time defending my stance. At least it didn't catch on fire or blow up on me (Dell battery recall), I'm sure that laptop in the fire video was a top-of-the-line, an Executive wouldn't think of owning a B-120. My final comment on this whole issue is this......a product such as a computer SHOULD operate LONGER THAN 8 MONTHS..........Go ahead and defend Dell, hope yours doesn't catch on fire and burn your home down (especially if you own a product whose battery wasn't included in the recall), would an extended warranty protect the loss of your home, your Family or pets?
I'm Done with this product and I'm DONE with this forum............................Best of luck to all!

August 20th, 2006 23:00

timothyfish sorry man, the same thing happened to me. Got it Jan 15 and on aug 20 it is dead. same model.  It bad, looks like dell should have a recall

August 21st, 2006 00:00

Hey Danno,   I wasn't gonna respond to anymore comments, however,  I FEEL YOUR PAIN!   I knew there was more of us out there that feel RIPPED OFF!  I mean, what do ya gotta do, buy an extended warranty for everything you purchase under a grand?

To me, it's the principal, either you sell quality products, including the "entry-level" products OR you don't...you can't stand behind the reliability or quality, then don't sell them, sell only high-end products . Not every one can AFFORD a $1000.00 or more laptop, just wanted something to surf the net and play DVD's on, never expected the thing to die after barely 8 months....$600.00 is alot of $$$ to me ...Anyway Danno, glad to hear from ya, what are ya gonna do with the useless thing? Me? I'm gonna blow a hole right dead center at POINT BLANK RANGE (shades of Ron White!) with my 357! Cause it's Dead, RIP Dell!!

* I'm going to also post on Clark Howard's website (www.ClarkHoward .com) and my wife said she's going to write a letter to to the CEO of Dell, NOT that it will do any good!!

9 Posts

August 21st, 2006 12:00

Obviously, you missed the point. The point is, do your research and get warranties on items you purchase that cost a lot of money to you. It's like car insurance. If it gets wrecked, the insurance covers the repairs. Digital cameras, video cameras, computers, and anything else electronic. I have bought a few items, of nameless manufacturers, and had issues with them, and since I didn't have a warranty, it was up to me to replace it or repair it. I am not saying that because an item is on the low-end that you should get an extended warranty. I am saying that you should get an extended warranty on any kind of system. Do your research on anything you buy, computer or non-computer. I am suggesting that if you purchase any kind of computer from any manufacturer, get a warranty whether it is one year, two years, or three years. Depending on the system, some will come with an automatic one year warranty. Also, a lot of manufacturer's will let you extend that warranty when it runs out.

If you don't buy a Dell, which it sounds like you won't, then try Gateway or HP. IBM might be too expensive for you, and Sony, well hardly anyone can afford a Sony computer. There is also Toshiba, which should be in your price range. But, again, check warranties and extend them if you need to.

Good Luck!

806 Posts

August 21st, 2006 14:00

if you shoot it, that is probably going to significantly reduce the likelyhood of getting it repaired. just a thought. it might make you feel better though.

i for one always hope every electronic device i purchase lasts forever, but they don't, so i always buy extended warranties. pays off sometimes. electronics fail.

August 21st, 2006 20:00

It would make me feel better!   I'm gonna try to part it out......................get something for it.......and start all over...........The shooting thing was just an attempt to show my frustration.   Thanks for your input. I guess I'm too old for this game of shoulda, coulda , woulda.......................I still live with the belief that big ticket items last more than 8 months..................my fault!  Thanks again for not berating me as most have.

August 21st, 2006 21:00

Thanks for your input ....................I'm not gonna rant anymore.   It was all my fault!   I assumed that the product would last forever!

I'm old and somewhat ignorant in the way that companys operate.  I guess 8 months was reasonable .............However, I've read some of the other forums and it seems that there are a lot of complaints even with the merchandise still under warranty. I give up!

I lose!

August 22nd, 2006 19:00

AMEN Danno...............AMEN!

August 22nd, 2006 19:00

Well my home computer is Gateway thank god for that, I did get my last bill in the mail yesterday. Dell should just rent this model for eight months. Yes I wished I would had research more, but who would had thought DELL would make something so cheap. Well It seems like this model might have a recall one day, so I will put it up for storage. I called DELL three times and could not understand the person on the other line?Does Dell have any English speaking people. Wonder how much it would cost to fix my computer? I quess I better work some overtime. I got my son a play computer to learn on the same week and It does still work

No Events found!