Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2013 07:00

Forgot administrator password on my son's Inspiron laptop

I had created an admin account for the Inspiron 15 laptop (running Windows 7) that we bought for my then-16-year-old son.  I was careful to write it down, but the system tells me it's incorrect.  

We do not have a password reset disk.  Is there any way I can reset the admin password without having to reinstall Windows and possibly lose everything he's got on the laptop?  (mostly video games downloaded and other stuff - that may or may not be redownloadable).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

There are some free, linux-based utilities you can use - you download an ISO, make a bootable CD and use it to blank out the admin password.  One that works is this one

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Hi madrugada,

We regret the inconvenience caused, As you do not have the Windows 7 OS cd it would not be possible to reset the password.
The only option left would be to Clean re-install the operating system and in order to back up the data from this hard drive please contact a local technician who will assist you in removing the hard drive from this computer and connecting this hard drive to another computer as a Secondary drive and you can back up the data accordingly. Please complete this and let us know and since this process needs re-installation of the Windows 7 operating system, please let us know if you have the discs. If not, as an one time exception we can send you the OS Cd’s, Please provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message so that we can access your system details.
To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information.

Let us know if this helps.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 01:00

Ntpassword seems not a good option for windows 7. It used to work well on windows XP. Instead, UUkeys is a better program for resetting dell password. I did it with success for two Dell laptops.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2016 20:00

if you're using Windows 8 on your computer, The password for the login to windows 8 should be your password for the Hotmail account.

Go to Hotmail.com and try to login through that. If that don't work than click the reset win 8 password and change the password and it should change for your computer too. Hope this helps!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2016 20:00

if you're using Windows 8 on your computer, The password for the login to windows 8 should be your password for the Hotmail account.

Go to Hotmail.com and try to login through that. If that don't work than click the reset win 8 password and change the password and it should change for your computer too. Hope this helps!

1 Message

November 2nd, 2016 03:00

Oh ,don't friet ,what you need is an effective recovery tools to deal with it ,

November 2nd, 2016 17:00

You could go into hacker world and use hiren's boot cd ISO.  It has a few password reset utilities.  It usually blanks out the password and you have to create another one or if you want to try to crack it then you can use a rainbow table tool.  

Link:

ophcrack.sourceforge.net/tables.php

3 Posts

November 26th, 2016 08:00

Plenty of Linux or WinPE-based password recovery tools available, a quick google should find you one, create a bootable USB and following the instructions to bypass windows 7 password. If you don't want to use third-party software, boot your computer from windows 7 installation disc. From the setup screen, click "Repair your computer", and then choose System Restore to restore it to an earlier point.

38 Posts

November 28th, 2016 07:00

Google "how to recover Windows Admin Password". Lots of suggestions there.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2017 23:00

Because you forgot Windows 7 login password ,you can make a password reset disk with USB/CD/DVD , but it should be a little difficult for you,

Maybe the NT password tool  is useful to you, it's designed for people who forget their admin / login passwords , you can use it to delete the login password to get into your laptop ,

No Events found!