Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 28th, 2017 03:00

Get Details about connected usb-c Dock

Hello, as we are switching to usb-c type docks like WD15 and TB16 I'm searching for ways to get information about these docks by script.

These docks have to be managed as they have firmware which might need to be updated. This means I want to read some information (dock type, service tag, firmware version, mac address) about a connected usb-c dock on a windows 10 computer.

The only information I found so far is in the "system information" report of dell command update, which I can't generate by script. This reports lists the firmware version of the dock.
Some other clues are in device manager, like "Realtek USB GbE" NIC.
I had a look at dell command monitor but I couldn't find a class that gives me this information.

Anyone? Thanks.

12 Posts

July 28th, 2017 09:00

Hi,

I have no issues with the docks and I have no trouble finding the drivers.

I want to run a command on a computer and get information about the dock in return, so I don't have to run around checking which dock is connected to which computer. I checked the documentation but was unable to find information concerning this. It might be hidden somewhere in a WMI class but I haven't found it yet.

What I want is something like this:

gwmi win32_XXXX

which returns

serial - mac address - firmware version of the USB dock.

Just like I can do for other devices like network adaptors, display adaptors etc

whether the information comes from wmi, registry or xml files doesn't matter. But for now I can't find this information anywhere.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Please click on the links below, hopefully it will be of help to you:

Support for Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 | Drivers ...

How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Thunderbolt Dock ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

EDIT / How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Thunderbolt Dock:

Dell recommends installing the following BIOS, firmware and drivers step-by-step in the prescribed order to ensure optimal performance.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 28th, 2017 19:00

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully one of the Dell reps or someone else will charm in and be a help to you.

No Events found!