Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

2 Posts

September 4th, 2008 15:00

HDD password frozen

Hi

I m posting this question since DELL  technical support couldn't find out how to solve the problem .

A friend of mine brought me his new laptop 2 days ago , a vostro 1510  with A10 BIOS version .

Somehow he managed to set a password to his harddisk for security purporses .

When i tried to disable this function , i found out that it can be removed : it says :" HDD status -- HDD password frozen " .

The problem with this option is that it doesn't let u boot unless u enter the password which can be very annoying .

I found out that the password on boot option is greyed but if i set a supervisor password , the password on boot section is available again and i can disable it ; the problem is that when i reboot , i'm getting again the hdd password frozen , and of course the HDD password prompt appears .

What is weird is that sometimes it appears and sometimes i can boot without entering the password .

I couldn't find a solution to this problem while googling this issue .

Is there any solution except sending the notebook to DELL ?

Thanks for the help in advance

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2008 20:00

Sounds like the drive has failed- call and ask them for a warranty replacement.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2008 04:00

Thanks for the reply

In the begining , i wanted to upgrade the BIOS because it appeared to me that it was a problem with the BIOS but then i discovered that it wa the most recent BIOS  , t tried though to flash the BIOS  but it didn't let me downgrade it . Also , i managed to install Win XP SP2 right now on the disk .

Why do u think the drive is the one making problems ?

I mean , if i  don't have access to anything in the SECURITY  section in the BIOS , my guess the prob is the BIOS .

What do u think ?

3 Posts

April 17th, 2009 06:00

Hi Fayce,

This note may be way too late to do you any good.

I recently replaced the hard drive in my GX250 Optiplex and ran into the same problem

with the "hdd password frozen" message in the bios setup.

The only way I could could clear up the problem was to jumper the motherboard reset pins

for a couple of minutes (with the computer powered down).

You can use the jumper from the pwd pins temporarily then put it back.

After removing the jumper and restarting the computer I was able to go into the bios setup

security tab and set the hdd password.

This may be too late for you but perhaps someone else can benefit from it.

David

No Events found!