Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2013 08:00

Help! DLD410 powers off when unplugged!

Hi,

I have had a Dell Latitude D410 for a few years now, and it does a very nice job.

However it has just one problem: SOMETIMES, when i unplug it confident that the battery is well charged (>50% and so i assume it will switch to battery power when unplugged), it instantly shuts off, no questions asked, just WHAM black screen, and i have to reboot.

It is guaranteed to do this if i unplug while computer is very busy, however it can also do it even if it appears unbusy.

If however i put in to standby mode, i can unplug and then bring out of standby mode without being plugged in, and it then works off the battery no problem.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 21st, 2013 08:00

What happens if you leave it unplugged and power up on battery power alone?

Perhaps the battery isn't really charged.

September 21st, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the reply, but i'm afraid it will power up on battery power alone, so the battery definitely is charged.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 21st, 2013 14:00

I don't understand what you mean by you're afraid. What are you afraid of?

September 22nd, 2013 10:00

Oops, sorry, bad phraseology on my part.

What i meant was: the laptop does power up on battery power alone, therefore i know that the battery definitely is charged, so i can conclude that it's not low battery power that is making it turn off, rather it looks like some sort of failure of the computer to automatically switch to battery power when the plug is removed from the socket.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 14:00

I would say that it does indicate that the switchover is not happening only when the laptop is in regular operating mode.

2.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hello Buckwheatpie,

I would request you to try updating the BIOS to the latest version and check if the issue persists. 

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Please write back if your findings. 

September 24th, 2013 14:00

Hi Allan, thanks very much for your reply, but i think the BIOS is already the latest version - the one you linked to is revision A05, which, when i ran the installation file, is what it said i already had.

Or is it in any case worth re-installing the downloaded version that you linked to?

Thanks v much

2.6K Posts

September 25th, 2013 17:00

Hello Buckwheatpie,

It seems to be an issue with the motherboard. Please consider replacing it. Does the computer have an active warranty? You can check the warranty status here (Enter the service tag, click submit and check for the warranty status). In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Hope this helps!

No Events found!