Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2017 22:00

Help! Hard drive failed!

Hi! I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3541 about two years ago. About a year ago the screen froze, so I force shut down the laptop. When I turned it on, I was met with following message:

"Internal hard disk drive not found

To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive.

No bootable devices-- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 enter setup menu, F5 enter PSA

So... I reseated it multiple times and nothing...

So what now? I'm not really a computer expert, all I really can do is replace the hard drive.

I recently found my computer again and would like the restore it. What do I do?

It came with Windows 8.1 already installed on it, then I upgraded to windows 10 if that helps at all

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 4th, 2017 06:00

If you did not prepare a bootable Windows 10 install media set, you can do that from here:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

Once that's done, replace the drive and use the flash drive you create to reload Windows 10 onto the system.  Since it has a digital entitlement (having been activated before), that should be sufficient to activate Windows at the end of the installation.

October 4th, 2017 07:00

So Just to be sure, ein63, this can be done with another computer/ one that won't boot up? (Sorry, I'm not all good with computer software)

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 4th, 2017 09:00

ejn63 is right (great answer), and just to answer your second question, you will need to setup this download and USB on another computer.  

No Events found!