Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

1 Message

September 18th, 2004 04:00

How can I get a SINGLE replacement key?

Due to canine-related circumstances, the F9 key popped off the keyboard on my 8200. Much to my dismay, I discovered that one of the little clips on the key itself that holds the key onto the bracket-thingy is actually broken off. So I'm trying to acquire an F9 key without having to buy a complete keyboard.

Any suggestions?

2 Posts

September 19th, 2004 15:00

I forgot to mention that I called Dell customer service parts sales.  At first I was offered the complete keyboard option - which I didn't think I needed epecially for the price.  I explained the issue, they put me on hold, made a call, came back on the line and found a keyboard only option that would work. 

2 Posts

September 19th, 2004 15:00

The same thing happened to me, except it was a 3 year old instead of a canine.  It popped off!  I didn't find one, but I found lots of replacement keyboards (just the keyboard).  They were not expensive anywhere from $17 to $29.  Now for the REALLY bad news, if you are still using your laptop and occasionally use the missing key (even though it's missing) it is possible to short out your motherboard and corrupt (to the point of ruin) your hard drive.  I know because I did it.  It was the "5" key (how often do you use that????)  I went about 5 weeks looking for a solution when....on my the screen displayed something like back up your hard drive and call your dell support rep immediately and give the error code  fjsjfpewr (I don't remember the actually error code).

Anyway - what the code meant was when you touch a key on your keyboard once (like the 5 key) and the screen display shows 55555 (it types more that one time) it is very probable that you will corupt your HD and very possible short out your motherboard.  

24 Posts

September 21st, 2004 03:00

1. If the small red rubber thing under the key is not damaged or broken, then you can just "click" that red rubber instead.

2. Where you can find the notbook keyboard replacement for $17 to $29. That is really good price. Dell asked for $100 and that is why I keep using the small red rubber thing (mine is F5 key which I don't need that too often). I knew some Dell parts mailing stores sell replacement keyboard for $40 to $100. 

3.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2004 14:00

Users:

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

I have added item #10 to the Keyboard / Pointing Devices FAQ that should cover any questions regarding this.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2004 23:00

I had my 18 month old pop off 16 keys off of my 5100 the other day. I found 3. Instead of calling Dell I went to eBay and found a replacement keyboard for the Buy-It-Now price of $16.95. It was a keyboard that was pulled from a damaged 5100 and it was very easy to install.
No Events found!