Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 18th, 2009 05:00

How do I get an DVI port on laptop?

Hello,

I guess someone must have asked this before but I still don't get it nor our sales rep. has any rational explainations.

Why is that most laptop models still come with a VGA port while most of new LCD monitors have an DVI port?

It's very difficult to find a suitable laptop model that has an DVI port.

Also, has anyone used the DVI port on a docking unit for a laptop with a VGA port?  Can it connect to the external monitor with an DVI port and how is the display quality?

Thanks in advance! :)

14.4K Posts

April 18th, 2009 06:00

i think the reason most laptop come with vga ports is for connecting the computer to projectors and such. The newest standard that Dell is pushing is display port which is very simular to DVI just a smaller connector size.

As to using the port on Docking station, that will connect to the VGA port so the video quality would be the same as if one just connected a adapter to the back of the system unless the docking station were to connect to the display port adapter.

To find out the video quality that the system will be capable of you should look at the system specs as they will normally list the video out specs.

164 Posts

April 18th, 2009 09:00

Hello,

Thanks for your kind explainations :emotion-2:

" As to using the port on Docking station, that will connect to the VGA port so the video quality would be the same as if one just connected a adapter to the back of the system unless the docking station were to connect to the display port adapter. "

I am using M65 and how can I find out if the display port adaptor can be connectted to a port replicator or docking station, and if so, which one(s)?

Thanks again. 

No Events found!