Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

38 Posts

November 5th, 2004 19:00

How do you change the computer name??

I just got my 8600 today and i was registering it and it told me to put a computer name, but the name i put i actually wanted that name to be the user's name...so anybody know how to change the computer name???

3.2K Posts

November 5th, 2004 20:00

Right click My Computer and select properties or open Control panel then System and the go to the computer name tab. Click the Change button.

Don't know if you have used XP before but MS got the help section nearly right this time. Give it a try next time you need some info like this.

This is from the help section with a search of "change computer name"

To rename a computer

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Open System in Control Panel.
  2. On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
  3. Under Computer name, type a new name for the computer, and then click OK.

If the computer is a member of a domain, you will be prompted to provide a user name and user password to rename the computer in the domain.

Notes

• To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
  • A computer joining a Windows domain must use the name created for it by the network administrator, unless you have a user name and password with rights to create computer accounts.
  • If you supplied a valid user name and password for a secure Windows domain, the domain membership will be automatically updated with the new computer name.
  • If you specify a computer name longer than 15 characters and you want longer names to be recognized by the Active Directory domain, the domain administrator must enable registration of DNS names that are 16 bytes or more.
  • If you rename your computer or workgroup when it is disconnected from the network, duplicate computer names might result. Check with your network administrator before renaming your computer.