Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2013 06:00

How does one get tech support for an Alienware Laptop?

• I have a problem with my Alienware 17xR4 laptop and have tried calling tech support 4 times now and each time the call was hung up. Either right after entering my Express Service code or after going through the menu and pressing 4 for tech support.

The problem I'm having in that I can plug in the laptop but I get the message "plugged in, not charging". I've tried unplugging and plugging it back in but that doesn't seem to work.

Searching the forums, I'm finding messages saying to call Dell/Alienware, but that isn't working for me. This laptop is still under warrenty. Other chat services say they are only for sales and aren't suppose to help with tech issues. Entering my Service Code tells me that Chat and Email support is not available for my laptop, that I should call. But when I call, I get hung up on. What the Heck?!

Hopefully this message will reach someone that can either help me or point me to someone that can. I have two previous laptops and the company I work for had Dell servers. This is the utmost worst tech support/customer service I have ever experienced with Dell. Is anyone out there?????

Jason R. Cannon

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2013 06:00

Is the system under warranty, or out of warranty?

19 Posts

March 14th, 2013 07:00

Under Warranty.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi LCannon1999,

I am sorry for the run around, I am glad to help you further. Please check if the ac adapter is getting detected in BIOS. Follow the steps below.

Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the BIOS

Under the Main Tab check if the ‘AC Adapter Type’ is 240 watts. Also you can try a known good adapter and check if the battery is charging.

Do reply for further assistance.

19 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Thank you.

I think there is something wrong with either the adapter plug or the power socket.   Right before I received your reply, I unplugged the power cord from the laptop and plugged it back in, while twisting the plug.  I noticed that the light for the power botton showed that the system started to charge.  Same thing for the power icon on the start bar.  The laptop is now charging.  

I am not sure if the other adapters I have are 240 watts but will check when I get home.   Is the power adapter covered in the warranty?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 21st, 2013 09:00

Hi LCannon1999,

I am sorry for the delayed response,thank you for the information. At this point of time I request you to send me the system service tag or express service code in a private chat to check few details and help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

Also check if there is any wire exposure in the power cable or any damage on the port of the system.

19 Posts

March 21st, 2013 12:00

Thanks but I've gotten ahold of tech support via Alienware's Facebook page and they have a new AC Adapter being sent to me all ready.

No Events found!