Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2014 07:00

How far Can I Upgrade the Dell Latitude D800 Processor? Also, Questions about Upgrading the Hard Drive

I want to upgrade the processor for the Dell Latitude D800 laptop, but since it is an older laptop, it might not be compatible with a lot of laptop processors that are being sold today. This laptop is a fantastic laptop that has been here for my needs for about ten years. I really like this laptop and refuse to get a new one, but the processing power on this thing is so darn slow. I would really like to speed it up. What is the fastest processor that I can buy for this laptop? And another thing, would I have to buy an new motherboard to be compatible with the processor? If so, what motherboard would you recommend?

I want to upgrade memory as well. At the moment the hard drive only supports 40GB and I definately want more memory than that! Would I be able to put however much memory I want by buying another new hard drive, or maybe, even possibly, a solid state dirve? Or are there restrictions on how much memory I can add because of the age of the laptop?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2014 07:00

CPU max is a Pentium M 2.1 GHz (the Pentium  M765).  The newer Pentium M using a 533 MHz bus won't work - the system is 400 MHz bus only. 

The system will take up to 2G of PC2700 DRAM.  You'll find it expensive per gig if you buy it new -- it's been obsolete for quite some time now.

The hard drive is EIDE, and not many of these have been made in recent years.  WD is the only manufacturer still making EIDE drives -- everyone else has ceased making them.  As with the RAM, they'll be expensive new.  There aren't many EIDE SSDs - and even if you install one, the relatively low data transfer rate of an EIDE interface will limit its performance.

While this system might be capable of running Windows 7, it won't be particularly speedy - and with XP going end of life in about six weeks (4/9/2014), there'll be no further security updates for XP, making it a sitting duck on the Internet.

All in all, it's time for a new system.

February 22nd, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the quick reply and information. I do have another question though. you said that there's a possibility of this system running Windows 7. When you say that does that mean that there's a 50/50 chance that it will work? And can Windows Vista be run on this laptop?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2014 17:00

In 2G of RAM, maybe - minus of course the Aero interface.  Unfortunately, the cost of the upgrade plus the RAM will be more than the entire system is worth - it's time to upgrade to a newer system.

94 Posts

February 23rd, 2014 08:00

I have Windows 7 Premium Home Edition on my wife's Latitude D600. It's a great computer but is no speed demon. If you're thinking about Vista....just upgrade to Windows 7. It's a much better OS and faster to boot.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 24th, 2014 00:00

This is an ancient piece of hardware:

• The processor even if upgraded will be incredibly slow, its likely a waste of money.
  • The hard drive is IDE which are no longer in manufacturer. IDE drives are hence all second hand or new ones are more expensive. Its not economic looking for an expensive IDE drive upgrade.
  • Windows 7 might run on it but its not worth the price of a Windows 7 license giving the hardware has a high chance to fail at any time.

You are best to look at newer D or E Latitude systems which have a similar build quality. If looking at a second hand system the Dx20 or Dx30 are good candidates (as many businesses are selling these in bulk sometimes already with Windows 7). Any Latitude E series should be substantially better.

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 03:00

I currently have a D800 myself and I'm running Windows 7 Pro with 1GB or RAM and while its not the fastest, it runs good.  Yes, you could spend a good amount of $$ on new parts just to upgrade but if you have a descent sized hard drive and at least 1GB of RAM you should be fine!  I even upgraded it with wifi and bluetooth which was an option for this laptop.  When I got the laptop it didn't include either one of them and I had to use a USB wifi adapter to go online which was fine but it removes the use of one USB.  So I ordered them used from eBay and paid about $15 with shipping.  I installed them, cleaned it out while I was at it and it runs just fine!  Good luck!  :emotion-21:

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 08:00

hi there 

I also have a dell d800 which I want to purchase a new processor for it and seen your post for the Pentium M 2.1 GHz which I have found somewhere to buy one. 

my question is if I buy one is it a simple case of installing the item or do I have to change anything in BIOS or install drivers for it? or does the computer pick this up itself?

March 22nd, 2014 21:00

You won't need to install any drivers and the bios should recognize any compatible CPU automatically. Some might suggest you flash your bios with the latest bios update. Also make sure you get some thermal paste to apply to the CPU. Also, clean off the old thermal paste using alcohol pads from the replacement CPU and the Heat sink.

Roderick Horton

March 22nd, 2014 21:00

I forgot all the components you need to upgrade/repair your laptop can be found on eBay.

No Events found!