Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2013 06:00

How to change the Display to AMD Radeon from Inter HD 4000

Hi

I have bought new Inspiron 15R [5521], which has 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8730M graphic card. But currently the build-in Intel HD Graphic 4000 is used by the Display adapter. I don't know how to change the display adapter to AMD Radeon. Could you please help me in this. 

I am curious if the 2GB graphic card works and how it works.

I tried disabling the Intel HD 4000, but still it dint work.

Urgent, please help.

Thanks,

Saravana

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2013 06:00

Use the Catalyst control panel to select the AMD GPU.  The system will ALWAYS show the Intel GPU as active, since the AMD GPU has no direct connection to the display device (i.e., ALL video data passes through the Intel GPU, even if it was processed by the AMD GPU).  This is the way the technology is designed to work.

272 Posts

March 1st, 2013 12:00

As enj63 suggested use the Catalyst Control Center, you need to setup profiles for all your applications that you wish to force rendering onto the AMD GPU.   Selecting "High Performance" will force rendering to the AMD GPU, Selecting "Power Save" or "Not Assigned" rendering will be done on the Intel HD IGP.

The AMD GPU has no display technology built into it, it can only Render Graphics so you can't switch off the Intel HD IGP as it's needed to physically display what was rendered from either itself or the AMD GPU out thru the display ports.

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 13:00

i had the same problem, but with some programs and games it still uses the intel hd instead of the amd radeon.

isn't there a way he always uses the amd ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 21st, 2013 14:00

No, there's no way to arrange that.  There is no physical connection between the AMD GPU and the display screen - ALL video data passes through the Intel GPU by design.

There are plenty of programs and games that do not support switching graphics at all - check with the publisher of the software or games that don't work - there may be an updated version (sometimes not free of charge, though) -- and there may in fact be no way to use the software with the AMD GPU at all.

1 Message

May 14th, 2014 07:00

Hello. I have the same issue on my Dell "5521"and by the way the gpu works I'm a little bit disappointed.

I tried to play with settings in swichable graphics menu but in benchmark app "Passmark" the results were the same every time, no mater if i put power saving or high performance. Disapointed with AMD 8730

Is this the same with Nvidia Gpu also ?

8 Posts

May 14th, 2014 08:00

Go to the AMD site and download the latest driver first, then do as the guys here told you.

It should work fine.

No Events found!