Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

QP

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 10:00

How to contact Dell's president?

I bought a new Inspiron 9100 laptop 6 months ago. After 3 months the silver lacquer began fading on the right hand side of the machine. Now, after 6 months, it is all dark grey exposing the plastic underneath. It looks terrible!

I contacted Dell support in Europe and was asked to send a photo showing the problem which I did. Today I received a response saying the casing is not covered under the guarantee and that I must buy a new one.

This is the second time I have been rolled over by Dell with this machine.

The previous time was in respect of a 4 year on site guarantee I paid for which is clearly shown on my invoice. Dell only supplied a 2 year guarantee and ignored every attempt on my part to get the problem rectified. They have never responded, neither in France (where I bought it) nor the UK (where they told me to contact because I was English).

This disgusting treatment is not what I would expect of a brand such as Dell and I wish to take up the matter with Dell's president prior to exposing the matter on French national television.

Would someone in Dell support please inform me how I may contact him please?

Message Edited by QT-Pro on 02-02-2005 10:36 AM

2.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2005 11:00

I think you are going about it the hard way......

If I where you I would call back Customer support and request a Supervisor or maybe a manager and take care of it that way.

It will be alot faster and less painful for you in the long run.

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 14:00

The last time I phoned them I was passed from department to department for the best part of several hours over a period of 2 days. Each time I had to explain the problem before being told "I'm sorry but you have been put through to the wrong department, I will try to connect you with the right one." It ran up a 345 euro bill and got me nowhere because I still have a 2 year guarantee even though I paid for 4 years. In my experience phoning them is pointless.

I will add that my previous laptop was a Dell Latitude which served me well until it was out of guarantee. As I had 3 years guarantee that was a longish time so no problem there. However, once out of guarantee the keyboard failed and I had to purchase a new one. The new keyboard lasted exactly 94 days before it failed and of course Dell only guarantee replacement parts for 90 days. I spoke with them and they wouldn't budge on this so I asked to speak to the department manager. She confirmed that I would have to buy another keyboard. It left a sour taste in my mouth because while I appreciate that the guarantee is only valid for 90 days I am sure that this case was exceptional in that normally a keyboard would last anything between 2 to 6 years so I feel they could have bent the rules that time.

Another thing is that I bought my Latitude in Italy and whenever I needed to call Dell support they were both courteous and efficient. Since I moved to France the exact opposite can be said. It has been a nightmare dealing with them because they don't care about their clients. And if you don't believe me work this one out...

When I purchased the Inspiron I let them know I was English and asked is anyone there could speak my language? Someone came on the line to assist me with my purchase. When I called for support about the guarantee issue they refused to deal with me unless I spoke in French. Yet, on their site the support area is in English and if you wish to use their forum you must speak English because the only forum they make available is this one which belongs to Dell USA. Talk about double standards!

My feeling is that if Dell's president knew that the French support team were busy trashing the reputation he has worked so hard to build he just might clean out the woodworm; I know I would.

563 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 15:00

Hello QT-Pro,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

I would suggest to contact Tech support by Email or Telephone in your region to get your Plastics replaced. They are covered by your warranty as long as no abuse has been done to your system. Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

2.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2005 15:00

I dunno about that. But yeah in your case I would complain big time...start burning up the phonelines.

Just keep going up the ladder until you get what you want.

2.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2005 16:00

@QT-Pro wrote:

The only question remaining is that you say plastics are covered, which they should be because Dell manufactured them, but Dell France say they are not covered so how do I prove that they are?

I would like to know the answer to that one myself.

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 16:00

Thank you Mike. I have contacted them via their online web form because calling them is very expensive due to them using a premium line and keeping you waiting for anything up to 45 minutes before someone is available to answer your call. Plus my previous experience on the phone has burnt all confidence I had in Dell France.

The only question remaining is that you say plastics are covered, which they should be because Dell manufactured them, but Dell France say they are not covered so how do I prove that they are?

563 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 17:00

Hello QT-Pro,

I would reference them to your Warranty Contract, I would expect it to look something like this. I was unable to verify If the U.K. contract was different than the USA.. Hope that this helps you.

Thanks,

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 20:00

Mike,

I have read through the warranty and it does not say that the casing is covered but it doesn't say it is not covered either. To me it seems obvious that Dell has to warrant the casing for at least the first year.

You know, these things can happen. I used to work in the automotive industry and we saw many new vehicles returned due to paint flaws. The company simply repainted them. I know Dell won't repaint this piece because it's just a lacquer however, the fact that it has gone on one side only proves that it's a flaw in the coating and not because I have had my hands on my laptop.

2.8K Posts

February 7th, 2005 10:00

I find it interesting that Dell would let this go on over there in France, someone need to contact a VP or division President. In my opinion someone needs to get fired. That is very poor management, and yes you can blame management completely for letting it go on.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2005 10:00

Having told them what you said about the warranty, Mike, they eventually responded saying that they would replace the top under warranty and would contact me to make an appointment to do it on site. They didn't contact me so I called them and the girl told me that there was nothing in their database about it. I gave her the case # and she managed to locate it but said that nobody had followed up on this. Typical of Dell France!!

She finished by telling me to phone technical support which gave me a recorded message "Estimated waiting time is 20 minutes" so I hung up. I have been down that route before and it cost me 345 euros so I'm not falling for that one again.

Finally, I have 2 cases open for the guarantee that they have not supplied. Neither have been responded to. What does it take to get service from Dell France? They are amongst the worst on the planet.

No Events found!