Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 21st, 2011 10:00

I can't use my recovery partition on inspiron 1764

Hi everyone,

I spent the last two hours trying to restore my inspiron 1764 to its factory defaults using the recovery partition. But when I press F8 to get to the advanced repair menu as instructed in support pages, I can not see anything like Dell Factory Image. Nor does Ctrl+F11 combination work.

Previously when I had hardware problems the tech team had told me to use the OS reloading dvd to reinstall Windows 7 because they suspected that there might have been a problem with the recovery partition. And I did so. Now I assume that since there's been an alteration with the MBR I can't reach the recovery partition.

Is there anyone encountered a similar problem or anyone who knows how to reach/use the recovery partition in such condition?

Thanks in advance. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2011 11:00

If you reinstalled from booting the DVD this is no longer an option.

June 21st, 2011 16:00

Well, thank you very much Speed Step but I guess there should be a way of reaching it because it is still there safe and  untouched...

2.2K Posts

June 21st, 2011 23:00

1.) SpeedStep is correct that once you use the disk to install your OS, the use of the recovery partition disappears.

2.) Are you certain it is the Dell restore partition you see? I ask because windows 7 does create its own recovery partition when installed.

3.) If a tech determined there was a problem with the recovery partition, why would you want to use it?

4.) There is no reason you cannot use the Windows 7 disk again for your reinstall.

5.) Future reference... A compete disk imaging product such as Acronis True Image is something I almost consider a necessity to save time in these situations. I know that does not help now, but, like I said, it is for future reference....

June 22nd, 2011 09:00

1.) SpeedStep is correct that once you use the disk to install your OS, the use of the recovery partition disappears.

2.) Are you certain it is the Dell restore partition you see? I ask because windows 7 does create its own recovery partition when installed.

3.) If a tech determined there was a problem with the recovery partition, why would you want to use it?

4.) There is no reason you cannot use the Windows 7 disk again for your reinstall.

5.) Future reference... A compete disk imaging product such as Acronis True Image is something I almost consider a necessity to save time in these situations. I know that does not help now, but, like I said, it is for future reference....

First, thank your very much for your interest,

begining with your first question or item, yes, the use of recovery partition disappears but the partition is still safe and usable.

And it is dell restore partition not windows 7's because it is about 10GBs.

As for the what tech did, they were just eliminating the possible causes of a hardware problem. So we were never sure about any problem with the partition.

Anyway, let me tell what I did to restore my Inspiron 1764 to factory defaults:

Within the F8 menu I highlighted  repair your computer and started the usual process. Then from the communication box I ran the command prompt to see

if I could reach the partitions. And there it was. The recovery partition was assigned the letter C and I was able to see through it with "DIR". Then, from the

"Tools" folder I found "PCRestore.exe" and ran it. It worked just fine and restored the computer to factory defaults. That's all.Just as it was shipped from Dell.

17 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 02:00

press f12 key and press f8 and choose boot from cd or dvd option.

No Events found!