Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2013 06:00

INSPIRON 3521 - FAN CONTROL PROBLEMS

TO THE BIOS DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT ATTENTION 

Hi, I just bought an INSPIRON 3521 Base using Windows 8 x 64 bit with BIOS A05.

The problem is that when the fan turns on (CPU temperature 50-52°C and fan speed 5400 rpm) it doesn't tourn off anymore, even when there is no high system load (just internet explorer opened) and the temperature is below 40°C (32-38°C).

Could someone find a solution? 

Thanks.

Federica 

March 1st, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the answer.

I used it about 2 days. You're right, the laptop is good but the fan noise is unpleasant.

Yesterday the call center told me that will be an update of the BIOS after 2 weeks.

I hope in a quickly solution from DELL.

Keep in touch.

Federica

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 07:00

Hello

I have the same problem with mine.

I've only had it about a week and have hardly used it.

The fan is on full and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. It's a Substitute character removed as per TOU>

A lovely Laptop but a loud fan.

I was on the phone for about an hour the other day to one of their guys, he was very friendly and helpful.

He told me that the new bios AO6 would be out today and he would ring me today (Friday 1st March 2013) between 12pm and 2pm. I am still waiting and it is approaching 3:30pm.

Thanks.

Bari

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 09:00

You're welcome.

I know it wasn't really an answer, just a comment.

They are a good company.

I hope so too.

Bari

1.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi Federica/Bari,

Here is a BIOS update for Inspiron 3521 (A06 version) You may download it from the link: http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/3757.3521A06.zip

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Extract the driver --> Right click and 'Run as administrator' -- > Follow the prompts on screen to install the BIOS update. 

This BIOS update is not web posted yet but will be updated on support website soon. 

Please share the findings. 

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hello!

I'm from Hungary and I have bought a Dell NB Inspiron 15 (3521) at 2012.12.15. It's service code is . It has come with a pre-installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system. On the laptop there is an Ubuntu sticker, and the Ubuntu.com website says too, that this laptop is an Ubuntu Certified device. However, I've got a problem with my fan. (I think it's the fan of the AMD Radeon HD 7670M.) When I try to use Ubuntu, the fan is always running on full speed, and it never stops. With Windows there is no such problem. I've bought this device, because it's an Ubuntu Certified laptop, and I want to use Linux. Yesterday I've found this forum, this thread, and I've tried the BIOS A06 that you linked, but it doesn't help.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks and Regards,

Oroszi Dániel

Hungary

March 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi all,

we updated the bios with the new version A06 and controlled the temperature with Speedfan 4.47 program.

In standard conditions, just windows explorer opened the fan is turn off (0 RPM) and the CPU temperature is betwen a min of 45°C and max of  52°C (46°C mean)

In a higt stress (1 video, 3/4 streaming windows opened ecc) the fan turn on (2600 RPM) at 55°C and reduced the temperature of CPU about 51-52°C, we didn't find other speeds.

The fan turn off when the temperature is 46°C.

At 2600 RPM there is no noise and the problem seems to be solved but we think and suggest, for a better protect of the machine, that the fan could run to 3500 RPM so the temperature could be lower than 51-52°C and the noise would not be relevant.

Wait for  opinions and suggests.

Federica

March 4th, 2013 02:00

Hi all,

we update the bios with the new version A06 and use Speedfann 4.47 to control the temperature of CPU.

We found that:

- in standard conditions (just windows explorer opened) the fan is turn off and the temperature of CPU is between 44°C (min) and 53°C (max) with average 48°C;

- in stress condition (1 video, 3/4 streaming windows opened etc) the fan turn on when the temperature is 55°C and the speed is 2600 RPM (no other speed were found). The temperature decrease to 51-52°C and stay constant.

- the fan turn off when the temperature drops to 46 °C.

The problem about the noise seems to be solved but we think and suggest, for a better protection of the machine, that the speed could be lead to 3500 RPM such to decrease the temperature during the stress condition since the fan isn't loud.

Wait fo answers and suggests.

Federica

1 Message

March 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi - I was having the same noise fan problem after purchasing my laptop a few days ago.  I downloaded the new A06. The noise disappeared. Now I hear nothing.  I hope I didn't disengage the fan completely.  Is this normal to be silent now?  Allison

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2013 23:00

Hi Oroszi,

I do not have much expertise on Ubuntu. If the system works fine in Windows, there might be an issue within Ubuntu operating system. There might be some application running in background in Ubuntu. You may try closing that and see if the issue persists. If you have installed any utility like speedfan, you may uninstall it and see if it works. 

@ Federica: You may uninstall speedfan from computer and then try using it. See if it makes any difference. 

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2013 22:00

Hi Allison,

If there were any issues with system fan, the system would have shutdown due to overheat and may exhibit other functional issues as well. In case you are experiencing any abnormality, please feel free to get in touch. I'll be glad to assist. 

1.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi Nikolay,

Here is a BIOS update for Inspiron 3521 (A06 version) You may download it from the link : http://dell.to/ZDgP1H

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Extract the driver --> Right click and 'Run as administrator' -- > Follow the prompts on screen to install the BIOS update. 

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 02:00

Hello everybody,

I have the same problem. Fan starts work after 10-20 minutes and it never switches off. It makes really boring sound. My laptop is Inspiron 3521 A00. Do you have any update or something to fix this problem?

Best regards,

Nikolay.

1 Message

March 26th, 2013 04:00

Hello everybody,

I read all comments here and updated BIOS (A06 version) but the problem with loud fan still exists. I checked temperature with RealTemp and SpeedFan and it's usually around 50 degrees.

Do you have any suggestion what to do to remove this noise?

Thanks in advance,

Aleksandra Radulovic

5 Posts

May 6th, 2013 09:00

Hello Dell,

I have a brand new 3521, I bought it today. Experiencing the same fan problem I promtply installed the A06 BIOS update but the problem still persists, nothing has changed. I would like to know if this is known by Dell and if you are preparing a new BIOS update to eliminate this issue.

Please get back to me for any details that may help you solving this case.

Looking forward to your answer!

thlorinc

3 Posts

June 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi DELL,

I bought this machine few days ago, i updated the Bios to latest version A07, but still hear a noise! something like moving parts, like parts of a HD, inside with sound zzzzzz, it is noticeable ! is this normal or what???? shall i hear the sound of HD?? or this is something else or indication for other problems>???

No Events found!