Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

December 30th, 2008 13:00

Inspirion 1501 Boot problem

Hi !

I have a nasty little problem. Since a couple of evenings I am trying to fix my girl-friends Dell Inspirion 1501 (AMD athlon X2 64, Vista Home basic)

The trouble started with this battery warning. This topic was adressed here in many threads already. In addition to this the laptop started refusing to boot. Right after the Dell-Start screen the screen turns black besides a flashing underscore in the upper left corner.

By using the PC-Restore Function it is possible to restore the factory setting of the laptop. Windows runs perfectly then.

Now the funny part. Everytime I put it back to original setting it works well. I can even use the "start the computer new" function of the windows start menu. The whole boot process runs smoothly. But once I shut the computer down completely and switch it back on the old error is back.

Anyone a good idea how so solve this ? Using the hints I found here so far I was even able to flash the BIOS to the newest version, which at least made this battery error message disappear.

Thanks for help and advises !!!

Tom

1.9K Posts

December 30th, 2008 19:00

Are there any USB Devices plugged in when trying to boot?

If yes then unplug all USB Devices then reboot. Plug in the USB Device after the system is up.

I get the same indications when I have some of my flash drives installed and try and boot. It is the BIOS trying to boot from an unbootable device.

pcgeek11

3 Posts

December 31st, 2008 00:00

Thanks for your answer. No, there ist no USB-device plugged in.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 00:00

..and even if there would be a usb device plugged in...why is the boot sequence after shutdown and restart different ?

What is the difference between shut-down/ switching the computer on again and using the restart-function of the start menu ?? Is there a kind of battery which can be damaged ??

No Events found!