Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2009 13:00

Inspirion 1525 audio and microphone problem

I have a Dell Inspirion 1525 that I have owned for about ....oh, let's say 2 years. Up until this week the onboard speakers and microphones worked good. So I decided to upgrade the hard drive to a 500 GB. I reinstalled the operating system with the supplied CD ROM and all the drivers from the other Supplied CD-ROM. In addition I installed all the drivers in the order that was recomended. Now my speaker Icon has a little red X over it (not muted). When I right click it and open "volume mixer" I get the message "no audio device is installed" .. So I go into the device manager and guess what.. The speakers show to be installed and working properly, this also applies to the microphone array. Both are enabled so I cannot seem to find a reason for those items to not be working. I then went to the DELL website and to the drivers homepage. I entered my Service tag number and I download Sigmatel Driver STAC 92XX C Major HD audio (version 6.10.0.5866 A03) I then uninstall the previous driver and install the newer version ... Still nothing. It's as if my drivers are working, but the computer does not see the audio components.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit Home basic with SP1

Can anyone help me?

May 21st, 2010 15:00

Hi, did you get a solution to your prob? I have the 1525 and the built-in mic has worked perfectly until a couple of weeks ago. Now when I use Skype, I can hear the other person but they can't hear me. I've tried every skype setting and Windows update I can find, but nothing works. Anything you might have found out, I'd most appreciate.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 05:00

To bicycleflyer, the original poster who had no sound, it is either the hardware or something went wrong with the driver installation. To test for the former uninstall and delete the files from the hard drive of all Sigmatel drivers you have downloaded. Reboot and Vista will load the native HD audio driver. If still no sound then it is probably the hardware. Also, listen with headphones to see if audio is getting to the hp jack.

The Sigmatel files folders will be on the hard drive at c:\Dell\Drivers\R...  The Sigmatel folders will be the ones that have a subfolder named "WDM". You have to fully expand every folder in c:\dell\drivers and delete all that have a subfolder named "WDM". Delete the entire folder that has a WDM subfolder. Those folders contain Sigmatel files and if not deleted will rebuild a Sigmatel driver when you reboot the computer.

Edit: just noticed that your post is almost a year old. Sorry I did not answer when you posted... I work and can't get to them all.

********************************************************************************

To packingitin whose mic no longer works with skype. Test the mic by recording into Windows Sound Recorder. If you get a signal doing that then the mic works and the problem is within skype. If you get nothing then take a look at What is the Integrated Webcam and Digital Array Microphone. Skip the 1st part. At the bottom of that page there is a link to a troubleshooting wizard named "Problem with the Integrated Web Camers" Wizard ID 297119. You will be asked to submit the model name of your computer and its operating system, then you can select the type of problem you are having, which is "The microphone is not working". This wizard is a good place to start diagnosing your problem and it will walk you through all of the steps to configure the camera & mic array. It will show you how to run the Dell Diagnostics tests on the webcam to find out if the hardware has failed and where to get help if it has. It has the details of the several pieces of software to reinstall if the hardware is okay.

May 24th, 2010 05:00

This was a great help - thank you very much. Not sure I've resolved the problem completely (it was with my computer and not with Skype, as far as I can determine); now when I do a test recording in Skype I have to make sure I'm very, very close to the microphone or it doesn't pick up my voice. But at least it's recording now....

No Events found!