Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2012 01:00

Inspirion 6400 Boot issue - desperate!

Hi, this may be a simple issue, so please forgive my ignorance.  I am home on leave from Afghanistan and had my laptop video card (integrated into motherboard) go out so the unit isnt worth repairing.  I have a Inspirion 6400 i was going to take back wth me that works but a is older (XP, Office 2003 etc).  I need the data from my laptop that went kaput (HP).   I was told I could simply exchange the current HD from the HP(Windows 7, Office 2007)  and my Inpirion.  I did but now it wont boot.  It starts, says loading files then goes back to the initialDell logo screen and starts the process over again....  In reading through other posts here I see the 6400 can handle the newer programs so I'm at a loss  as to what to do to get it to boot up.  I'm desperate as I have to head back to Afganistan in a few days and reaaaally need this data.  I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 28th, 2012 07:00

Rick,

You can't just swap hard drives betweeen two laptops even if they are both 2.5" SATA drives.

If you want to use the HP's hard drive in your Dell, you will need to install that hard drive in your Dell, then re-install Windows XP and the drivers from scratch.

You can retrieve data from your Dell hard drive using something like  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19366314.aspx explains what hard drive fits your Dell.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for the info.  I did as suggested and pulled out my windows 7 disks, starting with the 64 bit.  It started working then stopped saying system it wouldnt support 64 bit.  I put in the 32 and followed the same process but it keeps cycling as I mentioned in my initial post.  Any thoughts...or am I likely having to buy a new laptop?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2012 17:00

Simpler:  mount the drive from the other system in a 2.5" external case (by USB) and connect it to the older system.  Copy what you need.

Unless there's something wrong with the Dell system, you don't need to reload Windows onto it at all.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 28th, 2012 17:00

You need to set the boot order on your Dell to the CD/DVD drive first so that it can install Windows. It is most likely still booting from the hard drive.

117 Posts

March 28th, 2012 21:00

Simpler, simpler awnser.. Go into the system setup (F2 at the Dell Screen) look for SATA operation.. change it to AHCI (it's probably on ATA).. :) Of course if you wiped the partition or damaged it trying to do an install then that may not work.. but.. yea

No Events found!