Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2016 11:00

Inspiron 13 (7352) looking for a security cable lock to fit smaller sized locking port

I am trying to get a security cable lock for my Dell Inspiron 13 (7352). The Noble Lock (Dell part A6451164 / Manufacturer part TZ08) does not fit into the slot. The slot on my Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) measures 0.1875" (3/16"). 

Does anyone know what Dell or 3rd party (Noble, Kensington, or other) security lock will fit into the lock port of my Dell Inspiron 13 (7352)?

Thanks, John H.

8 Posts

September 28th, 2016 20:00

To All:

I apologize, as not sure if posting this correctly. However below is the solution I have thanks to Kensington locks. I contacted Kensington locks directly and I was able to find and get a security lock that fits with help from Kensington. The Kensington part number is K64637WW (ClickSafe Keyed Laptop Lock). www.kensington.com/.../clicksafe-keyed-laptop-locks

To work with the Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) you also need part K67973WW (Clicksafe security anchor for non standard security locks). I am sorry, but I do not know if part K67973WW comes standard with K64637WW or has to be ordered separately.

Tonight I did find K64637WW (ClickSafe Keyed Laptop Lock) on Dell Website (Dell part A4265154), but again do not know if K67973WW (Clicksafe security anchor for non standard security locks) is included. I would order direct from Kensington.

***End of Solution***

--Dissatisfaction with Dell--

On the Dell Website a feature is listed that the Dell Inspiron 13 has a "Noble Lock Slot", but Dell does not provide the part number that works and Dell Customer Service and Tech Support have no idea what is the correct part. If the TZ08 (Dell part A6451164) is the correct Noble lock for the Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) then I guess I received either a defective TZ08 or a different part in a bag labeled TZ08. They also sent me a Dell Combination lock (Dell Part# : 461-AADF / Manufacturer Part# : P9NG5) that did not fit.

--Dissatisfaction with Dell--

532 Posts

September 26th, 2016 20:00

Hi John,

We’re listening. We as Dell always suggest Kensington. Please let us know the region you are located in, so that we can guide you with the contact details for the sales team. We’re sure that they can provide you with the right details.

8 Posts

September 27th, 2016 06:00

1st I can appreciate you trying to help, but you did not provide anything close to an answer.

2nd it was Dell Customer that had me order Noble Lock (Dell part A6451164 / Manufacturer part TZ08), which did not fit the slot in my computer.

3rd Dell Technical Support told me that best option is Dell Combination Lock (Dell Part# : 461-AADF / Manufacturer Part# : P9NG5), which is being shipped to me now. However, I doubt this will fit, as it clearly states in the product overview that "The Dell Combination Lock fits Dell laptops, desktops, monitors, projectors, and printers that feature the industry-standard Kensington K-Slot lock slot.". As stated in my original post my computer lock slot is smaller (not standard).

4th I already have a Service Request number 936808496 opened with Dell Online Customer Care.

My region is Texas, USA.

I contacted this forum to see if anyone outside of Dell Customer Care and Technical knows what cable lock will fit my computer, as it appears that Dell has no clue. How does Dell design a computer with a locking slot and not provide a lock. I should have been able to go onto Dell's website, look up an Inspiron 13 (7352), clicked on Accessories, and found the cable lock options that would fit an Inspiron 13 (7352).

Regards,

John

44 Posts

September 27th, 2016 08:00

I had the same issue - all older standard locks are too large.  I ended up buying this for my XPS 13 9350:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Works great but it's irritating that cheaper solutions don't seem available for this new, smaller lock size.

44 Posts

September 27th, 2016 10:00

My apologies - I did read your post and had a brain "lock".  Good luck on the lock - it is frustrating that there appears to be multiple sizes (I have 2 different sizes for 2 Dell laptops).

8 Posts

September 27th, 2016 10:00

Sparksdls,

I can appreciate you trying to help, but you did not provide anything close to an answer and obviously did not read my original post. In my original post I clearly state that I already have the Noble Lock (Dell part A6451164 / Manufacturer part TZ08), which did not fit the slot in my computer. Maybe the slot on the XPS 13 and Inspiron 13 (7352) are different, so the TZ08 worked for you or maybe I got sent a bad TZ08.

532 Posts

September 28th, 2016 03:00

Hi John,

We did review the details and found that the order is booked and kindly wait until you receive the same. Once you receive it, check the functionality of the lock. If you find the issue is not resolved, we request you to work with the customer care department and confirm the resolution. Please make sure to post the Dell reference number via private message for security and privacy reasons. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

8 Posts

September 28th, 2016 06:00

Lijo,

Dell is sending me the Dell Combination Lock (Dell Part# : 461-AADF / Manufacturer Part# : P9NG5).  In the overview for this product it states the following;

"The Dell Combination Lock fits Dell laptops, desktops, monitors, projectors, and printers that feature the industry-standard Kensington K-Slot lock slot."

My Dell Inspiron 13 (DYXD932 INSPIRON 13 (7352)) does not have a standard width security lock slot. The security lock port in my Dell Inspiron 13 only measures 3/16" (0.1875") wide. Why should I think for a minute that the part Dell is sending will work?

Why can't you or someone else in Dell go to Dell Engineering and find out the Dell or 3rd party part that is built to match the smaller lock slot width in my Dell Inspiron 13 (DYXD932 INSPIRON 13 (7352))?

John

532 Posts

September 29th, 2016 06:00

Hi John,

We did review and found the part number for the lock, which will be compatible for your system. You may refer to this link http://dell.to/2dCdkah. Please let us know if this helped and if you have any queries.

-Lijo

8 Posts

September 29th, 2016 07:00

Lijo,

As I stated in my original post the Noble Lock (Dell part A6451164 / Manufacturer part TZ08) does not fit into the slot of my Dell Inspiron 13 (7352). The slot on my Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) measures 0.1875" (3/16") wide. If the TZ08 (Dell part A6451164) is the correct Noble lock for the Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) then I guess I received either a defective TZ08 or a different part in a bag labeled TZ08. If Dell wants to investigate this issue and send me another TZ08 I would be willing to see if it fits.

***Start of Solution***

However below is the solution I have thanks to Kensington locks. I contacted Kensington locks directly and I was able to find and get a security lock that fits with help from Kensington. The Kensington part number is K64637WW (ClickSafe Keyed Laptop Lock). www.kensington.com/.../clicksafe-keyed-laptop-locks

To work with the Dell Inspiron 13 (7352) you also need part K67973WW (Clicksafe security anchor for non standard security locks). I am sorry, but I do not know if part K67973WW comes standard with K64637WW or has to be ordered separately.

Tonight I did find K64637WW (ClickSafe Keyed Laptop Lock) on Dell Website (Dell part A4265154), but again do not know if K67973WW (Clicksafe security anchor for non standard security locks) is included. I would order direct from Kensington.

***End of Solution***

Regards,

John

October 6th, 2016 03:00

Dear John,

Dell Devices only have 2 options for Security Locks.  The first option is the Noble Wedge Security Lock which you can find either on Dell's or Noble's website.  

The second Option is a standard T-Bar lock which you are trying to order from kensington.

However As you explained you have a Dell Inspiron 13 7352. And as you explained this device has a smaller security slot and thus will not fit a Kensington T-BAR.

I know you have tried Noble wedge lock and it didn't work but Maybe the particular one you received had a default, cause as explained the only security lock that can fit the Inspiron 13 is the Noble Wedge security lock.

Hope this helps

John

8 Posts

October 6th, 2016 07:00

Jonathan Lieber,

I know for a fact that Dell incorrectly manufactured the lock slot in my Dell Inspiron 13 7352. Someone from Dell needs to contact me to discuss free computer upgrade, refund of computer cost or other options relative to how to compensate me for this manufacturing defect.

Regards,

John

1 Message

December 22nd, 2016 11:00

Dell support people told me the TZ10 Noble wedge lock was comptable with my Inspiron 13 7378 - I too had this issue with the TZ08. Currently debating whether it's even worth ordering the TZ10 or going with the Kensington solution, which looks more promising. Not sure if that helps at all...

8 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

Go onto Dell Chat and keep the Chat record relative to a Dell representative telling you the TZ10 will work. Order the TZ10. If it does not work just return it for a refund. The other thing I would suggest is you file a complaint with the BBB.

I filed a complaint against Dell with the BBB. Dell finally offered to replace the part on my computer that contained the lock slot. However, I decided not to let Dell touch my computer as they would not offer any type of repair warranty. I did feel I should have to take all the risk, since it was due to a bad part manufactured by Dell. The Kensington lock works for me and I did not want to risk taking my laptop apart.

19 Posts

January 19th, 2017 07:00

I have an Inspiron 13 (7368). I bought a TZ08 and found it does *not* fit, but just barely.

The TZ08 wedge has slightly rounded sides and the wedge opening on the laptop is squared off.

If you take  round hobby file and file a tiny amount of metal from each side  of the laptop opening (making it slightly rounded), the wedge fits right in.

That being said, I doubt that this type of lock will deter any but the most casual thief: I believe the soft metal case of the laptop will deform and the wedge will pull out with a strong tug.

Ken C

No Events found!