Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2015 17:00

Inspiron 15 3542 can not display correctly on external monitor.

I bought an Inspiron 15 3542 a few months ago. I connected it an external Acer 27' monitor via hdmi cable. It didn't  work. However, I could connect the same monitor to my older Acer Laptop via same hdmi cable without any problem.

I installed the latest video driver from dell.com, setup with 60p HZ, and the monitor only worked fine for a few seconds then went black (same as before). However, when I changed the display setting to 60i HZ, the monitor worked but the display was a little shaky/blinking.  Please help.

1.8K Posts

June 12th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

You may want to take a look at this article on setting up and troubleshooting multiple monitors in Dell laptops.  While it doesn't sound like you're using the FN+F8 key to set up multiple monitors the basic concepts of how to adjust display settings, how to tell the system to display onto external monitors, etc., are the same. 

Let me know if this helps or not.   It could simply be that the resolution and refresh rates of your monitor are outside the range of what the laptop is currently set up to handle.   Have you tried the on-screen setup utility that comes with most monitors?  Try resetting the monitor to default (factory) settings and see if that helps.

Todd

2 Posts

June 15th, 2015 11:00

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. To make the external monitor (Acer 27') work,  I had to lower the resolution to 1650x1050 with 60hz p. If I change the resolution to 1920x1080, the monitor can't display and go black. However, the monitor works perfectly with my older Acer laptop at max resolution (1920x1080). 

I believe the video driver was the problem. 

June 28th, 2016 11:00

I'm facing some glare in my screen in Dell 3542 how I can overcome the problem pls send me the exact graphic properties

No Events found!