Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 15-3552, memory maximum?

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series notebook. The model is a 3552. Crucial says the max ram supported is 4GB. Mine comes with 4GB of RAM already out of the box. It has a 64-bit OS of Windows 10 and has the Pentium processor. If I upgrade the RAM to 8GB, will it mess it up? My Toshiba supports 8GB of RAM and it has a weaker processor than the Dell. I don't understand why I can't upgrade the RAM on this computer to 8GB. It makes no sense.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 11th, 2017 06:00

There are two different versions of this system - one comes with a 32 G eMMC flash media drive, and the other comes with a 500G hard drive.  The version that comes with eMMC is not upgradeable to 8G.  The version that ships with the hard drive is upgradeable.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 21st, 2017 12:00

It may or may not work  --- but no one supports more than 4G on this model, so in case it doesn't work, be sure you understand your memory reseller's restocking charges before buying.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2017 06:00

ejn63 is correct. The 4GB maximum was how Dell positioned this low cost computer. The 4GB maximum was publicized in our sales documentation and 3rd party reviews.

March 11th, 2017 06:00

I have looked at this laptop in the UK shop and the specifications show it shipped with 4GB but capable of 8GB max.

Is this now possible or just misleading?

Been wanting to sample the world outside Apple. Lots more choices in the Windows and Linux world so would like to find a company that has it's act together like apple.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 11th, 2017 11:00

You'll have to ask the shop - Dell's specs for this system show 4G as max supported.

This isn't an Apple competitor -- it's a cheap, throwaway laptop designed to sell for a bargain price.  Apple doesn't even compete in this market - they are strictly upper mid-range to high end.    There are plenty of Dell systems that are Apple-competitive -- starting with the XPS 13 and 15 series.  None of the Inspirons will come close to matching what Apple offers.  Same for Lenovo, ASUS, etc. - to build a system for half or less where the cheapest Mac notebook starts, there will be compromises.

March 11th, 2017 12:00

It wasn't a shop, it was the specs on the UK Dell site.

I know exactly what it is! That is why I was I was considering it. I have not used Windows since Windows 95. I just want to test the waters.

Dell should edit the UK site if specs are wrong.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 12th, 2017 04:00

Bear in mind that this is just one of the Inspiron 15 3000 series models - some of which DO support more RAM, so be sure you're looking at the same model.

It used to be Dell had a different specific model number for each system - then Apple came along with its "slip-in" updates where the system changed, leaving the outside the same, and making model identification a challenge.  And others -- Dell included -- followed.

September 10th, 2017 20:00

I bought a Dell 15-3552 at Staples in September, 2016. The store advertised it as having 4GB of RAM but had a Dell placard on it that said that it was UPGRADABLE to 8 GB of RAM. Now, I want to upgrade it, but upon investigating the upgrade process, I have discovered information like this from you and from Crucial Memory Company, which all say the machine cannot be upgraded to 8 GB. That also directly conflicts with a statement on Dell's own website, which I read and relied upon just before buying this machine, which also stated that the machine COULD be upgraded to 8 GB, but needed an 8 GB chip, because it has only one memory slot.

In the "system summary" section of Dell Support Assist program (and it is running on my computer RIGHT NOW saying this) it specifically states that I have "4 GB installed of 8 GB supported". That is consistent with the statements made by Staples and Dell when they sold this machine (which I relied on). It is inconsistent with what you and Crucial are saying. Before I throw more money away investing in extra memory, I'd like to get the correct story.

If my machine does not support 8 GB, why is the machine's BIOS chip telling me, through Dell's own system diagnostic software, that it can? And, if the statements made by Dell on its website, back in September 2016 and through the placard affixed to the demonstrator machine were wrong, I'd like Dell to pay me my money back so I can buy a new machine that fits what I thought I was buying. Please investigate this and let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

1 Message

September 17th, 2017 22:00

ejn63 So you mean I can upgrade to 8gb ram because I have the 500g hard drive version why?

1 Message

September 27th, 2017 10:00

Installed 8gb yesterday working flawless.  Had to buy this garbage computer as my 7000 series motherboard took a dump.  4gb is an will not run this computer unless all you are doing is email

No Events found!