Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

October 18th, 2008 02:00

Inspiron 1525 - How to Disable Touchpad

I use a wireless mouse with my laptop at all times, so I want to disable the touchpad. There's a second reason: I'm a gamer and am left-handed. There are many games I play that require me to use my right hand on the hot keys, as I use my mouse with my left hand.  The heel of my right hand keeps touching the darn touchpad as I'm using the F1, F2, etc., keys, thereby messing up my gameplay. So this touchpad definitely needs to be disabled!

Thanks for your help!

SpeedyKar, Colorado

3.6K Posts

October 18th, 2008 14:00

Right click touchpad icon in system tray(looks like monitor with flash green dot)>pointing device properties>devices tab,touchpad- click disable>touchpad buttons-click disable>click the "disable Touchpad/Stick when a USB pointing device is present".Click apply>click O.K.

4 Posts

October 18th, 2008 16:00

I appreciate receiving your reply.  But I've got a new problem.  The icon for the touchpad is not in the system tray.  Is there another way to find it?

Thanks again!

4 Posts

October 18th, 2008 16:00

I figured it out.  Something was wrong with the driver, so I reloaded the touchpad driver supplied on the Dell CD. The touchpad was not checked, so I reinstalled just that one driver.  And the icon reappeared in the system tray.  I then clicked on disabling the touchpad in favor of another pointing device - my mouse - and I am all set!

Thanks!

SpeedyKar

319 Posts

October 19th, 2008 15:00

You can also disable the touchpad in bios.

19 Posts

February 25th, 2009 11:00

How do you disable the touchpad when a USB mouse is attached in the BIOS?  I've been trying to get Dell to troubleshoot why my Dell Touchpad properties have disappeared from Mouse properties for a few months now and they have no answer.  Bottom line is I no longer have access to the touchpad configuration settings (very annoying since this touchpad is overly sensitive) so I can't access the "disable touchpad when external mouse is present" checkbox.

1 Message

October 11th, 2011 09:00

I use a wireless mouse with my laptop at all times, so I want to disable the touchpad. There's a second reason: I'm a gamer and am left-handed. There are many games I play that require me to use my right hand on the hot keys, as I use my mouse with my left hand.  The heel of my right hand keeps touching the darn touchpad as I'm using the F1, F2, etc., keys, thereby messing up my gameplay. So this touchpad definitely needs to be disabled!

Thanks for your help!

SpeedyKar, Colorado

1 Message

December 18th, 2011 16:00

hi i have a inspiron 1525 and my touch pad dosnot work so i use wireless mouse can u help me and tell me how i turnet on please

2 Posts

March 18th, 2012 17:00

I have the Inspiron 1525 and I can't find the touchpad icon on the tray or in the control panel. Can someone please help me? This is driving me crazy. I am trying to write/type in Word and everytime my thumb hits the pad I find that I am typing in a different part of the doc. PLEASE HELP. 

934 Posts

March 19th, 2012 06:00

Dell's touchpad driver must be installed to be able to disable or enable the touchpad.

www.dell.com/.../iedhs1

2 Posts

March 20th, 2012 20:00

NICE work DELL support, very nice, totally easy driver download and the video was monster awesome. I am impressed! It's working (or not) just fine now! Thank you DELL!

5 Posts

April 14th, 2012 21:00

Speedy Kar I want to thank you for figuring out the Touch pad probelm. I was fed up with it and was ready to toss my Lap top out the window a couple of times. I new I had used that touch pad program before and I could not find it no where I thought I was going crazy. I wonder how it left my PC oh well its fixed now and thank you again.

JDNIZZLE

5 Posts

June 4th, 2012 14:00

Reinstall the driver it worked for me. I think it it tells you which application is missing.

1 Message

Thank you for posting this video. I used to be able to disable my touchpad this way, but not anymore. When I follow these instructions the touchpad screen does not pop up. I tried downloading the driver again, but the installation keeps failing. I don't know what else to try, any suggestions?

5 Posts

I reinstalled the driver and it told me which one was missing. I selected the mouse application and it reinstalled it.

5 Posts

What driver are you trying to reinstall?

No Events found!