Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2010 10:00

Inspiron 1545 - Keyboard not working after login

Having issues with the keyboard not working after I login to the laptop.  The keyboard does not respond when I am trying to type a word document -- HELP ??!!

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 07:00

Hello,

I am having the same problem.  It started out I would be typing a response to an e-mail, and weird things would happen--like suddenly it would start typing in italics or erase part of the e-mail but continue typing.  It was getting frustrating.  I have had my laptop for a year and it just started doing this.  So I went to  the Control Panel because I thought there was something there that could fix it.  I went into Ease of Access and checked the Sticky Keys box and Filter box, and also the box where the computer makes a sound when you hit certain function keys while you are typing.  I was still having problems so I think I just started randomly trying key combinations to make it stop typing in italics, other than control-I.  I believe that is when it locked up.  I hit some key combination that made it do that.  Because the keyboard is okay when I log on and when I log in as a Guest User.  So I know it's not the keyboard not working--it is something I did.  But how do I undo it?  Thank you!

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 20:00

I found a solution to the keyboard locking on the Inspiron--at least, it fixed my keyboard.  When I couldn't find a solution anywhere online, I decided to go back to the Control Panel then back to Ease of Access, because that was where I went right before the keyboard locked and I had made a couple of changes.  I had already unchecked the "sticky key" box but still had the "filter" box checked.  But I hadn't realized before that there were settings that you could adjust, if you clicked below each option  All of the boxes on the filter settings were checked, and I think that might have been the problem.  Because when I unchecked the main "filter" box, and saved the changes, the keyboard worked again!  So I guess it's okay to use the filter, as long as you adjust the settings and not leave them all checked.  That might be the same with the stickey key option--be sure to adjust the settings and not leave all of the boxes checked if you are going to use it.  I hope that helps anyone with that problem. 

1 Message

October 26th, 2017 15:00

@pink13rose tanks

No Events found!