9 Rhodium

Re: Inspiron 1545 graphics card.

There are options, yes  -- all integrated chips.  There is no card in this system, and there's no provision for adding one.

The service manual tells the story:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/index.htm

0 Kudos
astevens4
1 Copper

Hi - do you happen to know if the radeon board will fit in the chasis of the basic model - we got the basic (cheap!) one for my wife, but the way she uses her machine has changed and she now needs better graphics.

This model ships with one of 2 boards and its fairly straightforward to change a board out, but as i dont have a serial (its 30 miles away and by the time i get home i will have forgotten!) support wont give me a straight answer.

Ive tried this before on other makes and gotten burnt a couple of times on sizing - i really dont want to be hacking at the chasis and putting holes in and all that rubbish because the boards are different shapes / sizes.

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

If you mean, will the mainboard with the ATI chip fit, the answer is  yes.  Very often, a different heatsink is required and if you've a 65W adapter, you'll likely need a 90W adapter.

A mainboard won't be inexpensive -- $300-450 or so, plus the other parts.

0 Kudos
293IromMan
1 Nickel

I love it when people don't know what they are talking about computers Laptops can use the same mother board just because one comes with an external graphics card doesn't mean nothing its all about the factory settings which you can change in your control pannel or in your bios.  You are able to shut the enternal graphics card off. You just have to fine the right pines and setups that your mother board will with stand ejn63 you are close but no cigar. I've built the inspiron1545 from scratch you IT guy.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Could you translate that into English?

0 Kudos
Bootstrap Bill
1 Nickel

So swaping out motherboards is an option. Does anyone know what the price is for a new 1545 motherboard?

Does anyone sell a notebook/laptop with a standard graphics card slot?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

About $330 for a refurbished one with ATI video.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6183

While there were attempts to standardize mainboard graphics cards, they all failed - very few adopted them. Since almost all notebooks now ship with soldered-on video chips, it's a non-issue at present.

0 Kudos
Bootstrap Bill
1 Nickel

$330? I might as well buy a new notebook.

0 Kudos
293IromMan
1 Nickel

Bios is what your computers uses to control your hard drive and any divices. If you have an intergraded graphics card you can shut it off from your comtrol pannel or through the BIOs system built in to your computer. When buying the External graphics you have to find if it is compatibale with the you mother board and operating systems weather if it is a laptop or PC. In this Case it is a Laptop so you would have to call dell or look at your paper work to see what kind of pin set you have on LAPTOP. The reason for this is for when you go to install the external Graphics card it will fit properly and it won't short your graphics card out or ruin the mother board. The InSpiron studio is made for Games and Graphics for picture quality.  The mother board In the Studio has the same Mother Board and has the same capabilitys as the inspiron 1545. when you order from dell they try to fit you with the best computer that fits what you are using it for. I have been building laptops and PC for the past 5 years!!!!!!!!!!.

0 Kudos
293IromMan
1 Nickel

The best Graphics card is ATI 3500 or 3000

0 Kudos