Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2013 01:00

Inspiron 1545 power issue

Hi there

I have an Inspiron 1545 which had a fault where if the battery got low and powered down, the AC had to be plugged in to power back up but then the following appeared on boot:

RTC mode fixed - time and date may be wrong

I suspected the BIOS battery at fault so I followed the Dell support manual and stripped the laptop down. I found the BIOS battery laying in the internal casing!! I had bought a new battery so fitted this anyway. The laptop was put back together and booted up ok, however the touchpad wasnt working. I suspected that maybe one of the ribbons had become loose so I removed the keyboard and re-attached.

When I tried to boot it up the second time on the AC there was just a black screen. The light on the front was on to indicate that it had power but it just wouldnt turn on. I have removed battery and AC and held down power button for 30 seconds and tried again but now no power lights or anything!! I have tested the AC power on another working laptop and its fine, unfortunately I dont have another battery to test.

Looking at various forums this seems to be a common issue? Will this require a replacement board? If so whats the cost involved and where can I find the exact board to replace the faulty one?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Mark

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

February 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi Mark,

Unplug the battery and the adapter. Press and hold power button for 10 seconds. Plugin the adapter and turn on the system.

If there is no power, try a different power outlet?

Also, I would suggest you to unplug customer replaceable units (Optical Drive, Memory and Hard Drive) and turn on the system to check if it is an issue with one of the components. Please click the link mentioned below to download the manual:

http://bit.ly/QumKWn

Please perform the steps mentioned on the manual to remove any component.

As you mentioned now there is no power on the system, it may be an issue with the system board.

Also, let me know the country you are in so that I can provide you more information on the system board.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

February 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi there I am in the UK. I have drained the board as suggested and tried laptop again on AC and on battery and now there is no light on the front to suggest its charging or on AC.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

February 26th, 2013 05:00

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

Please click the link mentioned below for contact details of technical support in UK to get information on system board:

http://dell.to/11Vsxue

If the system is in warranty, send me the service tag and name listed on the account in a private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!